INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Managing 2 iPods and 2 libraries on one computer?  (Read 1960 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
Managing 2 iPods and 2 libraries on one computer?
« on: October 18, 2004, 09:00:12 pm »

Any suggestions on the best way to handle this?

I'm getting ready to leave on my RTW trip soon, and I might take a laptop to share with my travel partner.  We don't agree on the ratings on many songs, so we need to be able to keep seperate libraries.  We will have our own iPods, but my 5 star list will be different from his, obviously.  I'm thinking I will have to turn off 'update tags when file changes' to keep from overwriting each others changes, but I'm not sure about that.

First, is there a better/easier way to handle this?

Second, I just know that at some time one of us is gonna forget to make sure we are in our library and resynch the iPod and screw up the other persons ratings, playlists, etc.  With no real way to fix it.  The info may or not be in the files themselves.  It would certainly ruin my day.

Is there some way to have the iPod verify what library it was synching to?  (probably not is my guess)

Is there some way to have the synch process automatically (optionally) backup the library before snyching, so if i realize what has happened after the fact, I can get the latest backup, so not much would be lost?

Finally, is there a better way to handle this whole situation that i just have not thought of?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
pretend this is something funny

SteveG

Re:Managing 2 iPods and 2 libraries on one computer?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 10:39:28 am »

I'm thinking I will have to turn off 'update tags when file changes' to keep from overwriting each others changes, but I'm not sure about that.

You are correct. If you have one copy of the files and want seperate ratings you will have to turn that option off.

Is there some way to have the iPod verify what library it was synching to?

No. But try deselecting the option for 'Sync data to PC' when you sync and that way neither of your ratings will inadvertently overwrite your individual ratings in your personal MC library.

Steve

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 11:02:51 am »

Thanks Steve.

Unfortunately, I do want the iPod to overwrite the ratings in MC.  I went through much of my library rather quickly and rated the songs, just so they would have some rating.  I know many are not the 'real' rating.  I will use smartlists in MC to manage playlists in the iPod so I can listen to (for example) all 5 star tracks, and then if I hear something that is not a 5 star track, I can change the rating in the iPod right then, and have that eventually update MC next time I synch.  Then that song will no longer appear in the 5 star playlist.  Eventually, I figure I can get my library 'correctly' updated with this method.  This would all be fine, except my friend will be doing the same thing to the same files, with different ratings.

I was really hoping there would be some way for MC to help me from being an idiot and updating the wrong library by accident.  I can promise to be very thorough and always make sure i am in the right library, and so can my friend, but I know eventually someone will make a mistake, and I really don't want to screw up all the hard work that has gone into getting everything updated to that point.

Is it possible to 'update files...' in only one library.  That way I can designate one library to keep files on the server up to date, so if we screw it up, at least one of us has the right info in the files (me ;))?  I suppose I could do that once in a while, but an automatic solution would be perfect.

I would assume others would be interested in this as well, but I could be wrong.

Thanks again.  I'll keep my fingers crossed. ;)

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 09:22:55 am »

There is not currently a way to do this, but if others suggest that it might be of use I will consider adding it in. I think your situation is somewhat unique, but if I am wrong, I will be glad to add it in eventually.

Steve

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 10:43:35 am »

Alright everyone.

Please tell me this would be of benefit to you as well.

I'm not gonna be surprised if I'm the only one that would find this useful, but I also wouldn't be surprised if others would benefit from this solution as well.

I know Larry uses custom fields to manage his 2 iPods i the same library, but i would guess he would benefit/like to have teh ability to allow his other user to have their own ratings as well.

Thanks again Steve for your consideration in this matter.  i really appreciate you guys always listening to user requests.  It's one of the main reasons I frequent this site.

Have a great day all!

I leave for the trip in less that 2 weeks now ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up