INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: V11 slow ripping -- AKA MP3 encoding speed  (Read 21862 times)

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
Re:V11 slow ripping -- AKA MP3 encoding speed
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2004, 04:34:53 pm »

Thanks once again Alex - very interesting. My friend the sound engineer who prepares the sound files for a lot of the UK reissue CDs said to me that for a mono file the highest bitrate he would use is 64kbps.

My conclusion from your comments is that a stereo file where the channels are identical, as is the case with a very large number of my tracks, will take up a considerably less "effort" than a true stereo file - maybe that's why the bitrates I got were so much loewer than I expected.

More experimentation needed along the lines you indicate!

John.

Michael Horton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2004, 07:04:48 pm »

My thanks to all of you for your effort in getting this problem resolved.

mysixstring

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2004, 11:18:53 pm »

I am also experiancing very slow ripping speeds with version 11 but I am encoding to ogg vorbis. With MC 10 I was getting speeds upwards of 9.0x but with MC 11 the highest I ever get is 3.7x. That includes trying two different drives and trying it with the "rip & encode simultaniously" option turned off. I also tried encoding with mp3 set on the "high" quality option and MC 11 reported a speed of 5.5x. I appreciate any help on this. Here is my system information:

Media Center Registered 11.0.125 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2390 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 230 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive F: LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-851S    Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G: PLEXTOR CD-R   PX-W1210A  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive F: LITE-ON  DVDRW LDW-851S     Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive G: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PX-W1210A   Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:12  MaxSpeed:12  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2004, 04:15:25 am »

Have you installed anything else after switching to MC11?

You have the "Normal" mode selected for both drives. That should be about as fast as it gets. "Secure" is better for accurate results, but it can be much slower if the CDs are not flawless. It tries to re-read several times if there are unreadable spots.

Perhaps you could test ripping and encoding speed separately. So you could isolate the problem as we did in this thread previously. Rip to wave format first. Convert to Ogg Vorbis separately. Post the results here. Include the quality settings used. It could be even better if you start a new thread for Ogg Vorbis speed issues. This thread is already rather long.

Maybe it is time to look at Ogg Vorbis next. It is currently my preferred compressed format too. Currently I make new MP3s only for my portable MP3 and car CD players.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Michael Horton

« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2004, 04:14:23 pm »

With today's build, using the internal mp3 encoder set at 320 kbs CBR, my encoding speeds have been in the neighborhood of 20.3 to 28.2x. That's a remarkable diference! Ripping remains fast, as it always was.  Nice name change for the thread--made me lol. Again, thanks!

mysixstring

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2004, 01:32:52 am »

I have tried ripping and encoding seperately. I got speeds around 16x while ripping but the encoding portion still took quite a long time using both the ogg vorbis encoder and the lame mp3 encoder. MC 11 doesn't keep track of the encoding speed so I don't know exactly how fast it is.

It has been awhile since I upgraded to MC 11 so I'm not exactly sure what changes I have made since I upgraded. I did upgrade to windows xp sp2 probably around the same time. That may be a likely culprit.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2004, 07:30:43 am »

I have tried ripping and encoding seperately. I got speeds around 16x while ripping but the encoding portion still took quite a long time using both the ogg vorbis encoder and the lame mp3 encoder. MC 11 doesn't keep track of the encoding speed so I don't know exactly how fast it is.
Could you use a stopwatch?

If you like to experiment here is a new fast Vorbis encoder:
http://homepage3.nifty.com/blacksword/OggEnc_SSE_20041111ArcherB04.zip

It is a beta version and there can be minor bugs, but it should be fast. I tried it and I didn't find any bugs on my system.

Replace the "oggenc.exe" file in MC plugins folder. Backup the original first.

More information about it here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=29161&st=0

EDIT

The encoder link is in the next post. It is the first ".zip" file on the Japanese web page. (B06 at the moment)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

marcusaschneider

« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2004, 01:28:39 am »

If you like to experiment here is a new fast Vorbis encoder:
http://homepage3.nifty.com/blacksword/OggEnc_SSE_20041111ArcherB04.zip

It is a beta version and there can be minor bugs, but it should be fast. I tried it and I didn't find any bugs on my system.

Replace the "oggenc.exe" file in MC plugins folder. Backup the original first.

I do not remember when the speed problems (OGG) started with me during the 11 Alpha/Beta builds, but THIS did a real 100% speed increase for me on my slow old PII 500... (with the beta 6 and MC 11.128)
But the link is not perfect, as the guy is obviously as quick as his encoder version. Just try his homepage - it's mostly in Japanese, but the links are plain readable: http://homepage3.nifty.com/blacksword/

Just running again
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up