INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT - Purely Foolish Curiosity  (Read 1346 times)

JaredH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Superfluously Articulate
OT - Purely Foolish Curiosity
« on: November 23, 2004, 07:52:49 am »

Im bored and I'm playing around with my PC. That's what we PC people do when were bored and havent slept in 2 days. Haha. Im what you would call.. hmm.. obsessive with my computer. Im always trying to find the perfect setup. I constantly shirk backups because "I may change something important tomorrow so I'll just have to do it again." Ive got my MC database chiseled down to the tune of at least 6 levels of sub-genres and at least 15 main genres. I spas when something doesn't line up just right. I develop twitches when I've got one program that doesnt conform to the windows "standard". Some would call me a control freak. I call it "Fine Tuning".

Which brings me to my reason for this post. To use Standard fonts, or ClearType. That is the question. I've been running on Standard for a few weeks now (Yes, mainly because I had one program that didnt display things in ClearType and it bugged me out). I'm finding now when I switch back to ClearType, it's really hard to read, even for a crisp UXGA LCD Laptop monitor.

So do any of you out there use ClearType? The only pluses I've seen to using clear type is that really small fonts are easier to read. If I get anything below 7 with any font and no ClearType, it may as well be chicken scratching, cuz I cant read it.

So in the midst of a battle of whose browser is best, I present a new fight, a skirmish per se. Something to break the MozilOperonotany.

Standard vs. ClearType

Who will win?
J. A. Hayslett

Blog & Gallery - http://www.bgracetfaith.net

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
Re:OT - Purely Foolish Curiosity
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 09:46:19 am »

You sir are a candidate for the MS ClearType Control Panel Tuning Applet.

You think it is a choice between CT and non-CT. Ha!

First you have to tweak CT and there are many combinations to evaluate. Then you can start to decide the other issue. Personally I have a game or two that want font smoothing/clear type, so I run it.

But tweaked to my liking naturally.

mattsnuts

• Junior Woodchuck
  • that'll do
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 11:39:27 pm »

I use ClearType, it took me a while to get used to it, but I've come to like the rounded appearance, looks like a Mac.

And the tuning utility whatever thing helped heaps.

-Matt
Listening to: 'Fly Away' by 'Looptroop' on Media Center 9.1

Shelly

• I love listening to music with Media Center!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 03:58:03 pm »

I find ClearType is much easier on my eyes than standard fonts.  Here's a little free program that makes switching back and forth quick and simple:

http://www.ioisland.com/cleartweak/

benrad

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 11:51:53 pm »

I love things all warm and fuzzy so CT is the way to go for me. I've always loved it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up