INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording vinyl  (Read 2439 times)

spfd2004

• Change this by choosing profile
Recording vinyl
« on: November 06, 2004, 06:33:02 pm »

Sorry if this is a silly question to some but I am in the process of copying my vinyl onto the computer. Media jukebox works fine (maybe a bit too well) but with some of the records not being in the best of condition the hisses and crackles etc also come through.
Is there an easy way to clean the sound ?

thanks

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re:Recording vinyl
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 04:21:34 am »

Not with MJ/MC.

Algorithmix Sound Laundry is an easy to use and high quality commercial tool for that: www.algorithmix.com

I don't know if there are similar freeware or open source programs. Search with Google. One place worth checking out is www.tucows.com.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 08:16:23 am »

Gramofile is a free and very effective tool for precisely this application.

It is available in a DOS version, that runs fine under Windows. Look for it in the downloads section of the page. (However, the mouse is not supported, so you have to use the keyboard for all actions).

If you point it at a .WAV file, it will automatically seek out and split the tracks, remove noise, etc.

It requires CD quality .WAV files as input (ie 16 bit 44.1khz PCM).

IanG

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 08:41:11 am »

Audacity is another freeware package for editing audio files.  It doesn't have the ability to split files into tracks, but it does allow you to sample noise and then remove it from the entire file.  If you're prepared to spend a few $$ for (imho) better results, have a look at Acoustica.  As well as doing a better job of noise reduction it has tools for restoring some of the high frequencies.

Noise reduction is more art than science, so you should play with anything you can get your hands on and see what works for you.

Ian G.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 02:23:53 pm »

Microsoft Plus! Digital Media Editiion includes a utility that can record from vinyl as well as cleans up hiss and pops.  Costs $20 or less and there are other programs you might find useful as well.

The only part I don't like is that the created files are 320kbps WMA files and there are no options for WAV.  However, the resulting files sound good and the program is easy to use.

modelmaker

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 02:58:22 pm »

Magix' Audio Cleaning Lab http://www.magix.com is an excellent WAV recording and processing application, (about$50). I've been using it for about 3 years to record and clean up my 10K plus LPs and a large collection of reel to reel tapes.

It has virtually every tool you would need, including track splitting (adjustable) and editing, pop, click and scratch removal, noise reduction filters, equalization, compander/expander and more. If those are not enuough, you can also use directx plugins. It also does file converting, but I prefer to use MC or EasyCD-DA for those operations.

It looks and operates like a piece of stereo equipment and is very easy to learn to use.

While it's a little pricey at $40-50, as with MC, you get what you pay for.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2004, 03:11:48 pm »

Magix' Audio Cleaning Lab

Also once you buy it you also need to buy the MP3 encoder after your free x encodes.

It is better than Pinnacle Clean Plus when dealing with low bit rate mono files. Pinnacle clean plus 4.0 does not support mono files at all.

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

antolod

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2004, 06:20:59 pm »

After getting a pre-amp and a new belt for my 27 year old turntable I have just started ripping my vinyl and am using Wave Corrector.

http://www.wavecor.co.uk/index.html

It splits tracks, basic tagging of artist and track info. About $45.  I have only ripped a couple of albums but it seems to do the job well.  
Kevin
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
iPod 30gig
WinXP/ P4 2gig
Media Center 11.0.changes daily - 8040 files so far...

sail121j

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2004, 08:05:07 pm »

I use Steinberg Clean by Pinnacle Systems.. Does a good job and lots of options.. Not freeware though ~$40 or so.

modelmaker

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 12:18:24 pm »

Also once you buy it you also need to buy the MP3 encoder after your free x encodes

Actually you don't, just export your WAV files to your music directory, then use MC to convert the files to whatever format you wish and use the MC option to delete the WAV files automatically after the conversion. (You should also delete them in the AcLab\new directory when you're done to regain memory space).

note: Magix uses the Frauenhofer encoder, I prefer Lame. I've found the app to be such a versatile tool, that for me, MC and Magix AcLab just go hand in hand.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up