INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod not recognizing Replay Gain after syncing  (Read 4741 times)

gpberber

• Change this by choosing profile
iPod not recognizing Replay Gain after syncing
« on: July 19, 2004, 07:27:29 pm »

Hello,

I couldn't find any help with this here or at the iPodlounge forums.

I am new to Media Center. I am using MC 10 Build 149. All my MP3s have been analyzed within MC and the volume adjusts fine when playing songs within MC.

However, when I transfer songs to the iPod, the volumes are all over the place. I never had this problem when using iTunes. I have the Replay Gain option selected when syncing. I know MC 9 had an "Update Tag" option that had to be selected in order for the Replay Gain info to be transferred to the iPod, but I see no such option in MC 10. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:iPod not recognizing Replay Gain after syncing
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 09:42:32 am »

Greg,

Right click on your iPod drive letter and select 'Set Upload volume adjustment'. Then make sure 'Apply Replay Gain' is selected.

Steve

pfeffermj

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 12:20:05 am »

I also am having this problem.  I've been using MC to rip and analyze audio for my PC and Tivo for a LONG time, and I recently brought my 3G 20Gig iPod into the fold.  I have had the Replay Gain option checked ever since I started syncing my iPod with MC and my volumes are all over the place as well.  I am running build 161 and I started my iPod out with MC fresh, I Restored it using the 7-15-2004 software from Apple then initialized it for use with MC right afterwards.

The volume differences between some songs even on the same album are DRASTIC.  It's like the iPod is totally mis-interpreting the Replay Gain or something.

I just don't see this as being the case of someone not checking the right box, but I am glad to see I'm not the only one with the problem, since it was starting to irritate me, as I use my iPod on runs and don't like having to look down to mess with the volume after each song.

Thanks.

--Matt

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 09:00:38 am »

Matt,

What checkboxes / settings have you selected under the 'Volume Adjustment' right click option on the iPod drive letter?

Steve

pfeffermj

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 02:49:44 pm »

I only have the 'Apply Replay Gain' box checked.

--Matt

BillRaff

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 05:05:31 pm »

Apply Replay Gain doesn't seem to work for me either.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 05:50:18 pm »

Same here.  I really don't want to have to install itunes.

"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2004, 06:11:06 pm »

How are you guys getting the sound out of your iPod? I was once told that the line out doesn't work with the Replay Gain (in MC) or the Sound Check (in iTunes). Only the headphones work with these features. That's  what I've always chalked it up to...

Brad

pfeffermj

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2004, 10:49:02 pm »

Yeah, I'm using the headphone jack.  It's all screwy through the headphone jack, where it's supposed to be applying the replay gain.

--Matt

pfeffermj

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2004, 04:29:30 pm »

Anyone else experiencing this or have a possible solution?

I know I'm not just being picky, it's WAY noticeable.

--Matt

SteveG

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2004, 04:37:26 pm »

Matt,

I will test this and see if I can verify/fix this as soon as I can.

Steve

TimB

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2004, 10:05:38 am »

I've noticed this.

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

SteveG

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2004, 02:03:34 pm »

Can anyone give me some examples of values for Replay Gain for a set of files that sound out of whack on iPod?

From my testing today, things appear to be working OK as long as adjustments are within +- 15db.  I may need to tweak the math to accomodate ranges outside of this or compare firmware versions to see what else might be causing the odd results.

Steve

TimB

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2004, 03:23:14 pm »

Its been a few weeks since my last sync (sounds like confession!  :o ) so I can't remember the methodology.

However the most noticable files are quieter (tho' I can't imagine -15db) than the usual.

StevieG, you want me to email you an example?

-=Tim=-

SteveG

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2004, 03:56:28 pm »

Tim,

Sure, that would be great. I may not get to it until next week.  I am off for vacation tonight until next Tuesday.

Steve

TimB

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2004, 11:52:05 pm »

Sorry I was smoking dope (again!) ;)

Totally my fault!

-=Tim=-

SteveG

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2004, 09:57:32 am »

Tim,

No need to apologize, don't ask don't tell is in effect :)

Seriously,

In regards to Replay Gain, are you saying that all seems to be working correctly for you?

Steve

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2004, 09:19:44 pm »

Still no solution?
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

SteveG

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2004, 07:54:36 pm »

Is there a problem?

Can anyone give me some examples of values for Replay Gain for a set of files that sound out of whack on iPod?

When I last visited this issue, TimB seemed to be doing OK. I am looking for examples of Replay Gain values that sound wrong on iPod. Are your files within the +-15db range?

Steve

pfeffermj

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2004, 05:22:39 am »

All of mine were +- 15dB and the sound levels through the headphone jack were all over the place.  So much so, that I reverted back to iTunes until this issue is resolved, because it was becoming too much of a pain during my runs to get my eardrums blasted by one song, then not be able to hear the next.

What can I send you that will help?

--Matt

SteveG

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2004, 08:43:15 am »

Matt,

Please post for me the Replay Gain values for three songs that sound wrong on iPod. If you can email me the songs, even better.

steve @ jriver.com

pfeffermj

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2004, 02:56:28 pm »

Well, after I had those problems, I went back to iTunes for the past few weeks, and today, I reinitialized for MC.

Now I can't duplicate it.  I re-initialized, and synced a few playlists that I was having problems with, making sure (before I synced for the first time) to check that the "Set Upload Volume.....Replay Gain" option was checked correctly.  So after the songs transferred, I put on some headphones, and it seemed to be working.  I do have 2 questions though.  

1.  Does 'Sound Check' have an effect on songs that MC sends the Replay Gain data for?

2.  Is it possible that before (when I was having problems) that maybe the Volume Adjustment options weren't checked the first time I transferred my library over to the iPod, and since the songs were never copied over again, with the option checked, that was what was causing the problem?

Sorry if my post is confusing, I always have problems describing these computer related issues on message boards.

Thanks for listening though.   ;D

--Matt

SteveG

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2004, 09:42:13 am »

Matt,

1.  Does 'Sound Check' have an effect on songs that MC sends the Replay Gain data for?

Not totally sure. I have a set of files I use for testing with a wide range of volumes and 'Sound Check'  does not appear to have any affect on the volume of these files.

2.  Is it possible that before (when I was having problems) that maybe the Volume Adjustment options weren't checked the first time I transferred my library over to the iPod, and since the songs were never copied over again, with the option checked, that was what was causing the problem?

This is very possible.

Steve

pfeffermj

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2004, 04:33:53 pm »

Cool.  Well, thanks for listening about this possible 'problem' even though it sounds like I was responsible for it.   :-X

If I happen to run into this issue again, I'll be sure to post it.

--Matt

tomgrossi

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2004, 10:38:04 am »

This still isn't working for me.  I fully resynced my iPod (with on-the-fly conversion to VBR MP3 from APE) from scratch using the "Apply Replay Gain" option and songs are greatly different volumes.   In particular: most of the songs I tested seem to be fairly low volume even at max; at least one song I tested (the Black Eyed Peas' "Let's Get Retarded") is so quiet that even at max volume it is mard to hear if there is background noise in the room.  It is unusable like this so I'm going to try to resync without "Apply Replay Gain"... can you please look into this feature, though... maybe it is related to the on-the-fly enoding or something.  Thanks.   -Tom

SteveG

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2004, 12:57:41 pm »

Tom,

Are you saying that after the transfer to iPod some files volumes are still way too low? If so, what is their Replay Gain setting (the ones that are too low). Does it follow that some are OK? If so, what is their setting. When applying the Replay Gain to setting during the transfer, are you opting to add or subtract from the applied Replay Gain volume? If all of your files need more volume, you could try resynching with this setting boosted.

Steve

tomgrossi

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2004, 06:45:04 am »

The main issue was not the absolute volume (though I was commenting that it did seem low on some tracks) but the huge variance.  An example:

The track I had the most trouble with (which was almost inaudible it was so quiet) was "Let's Get Retarded" and had a replay gain of -15.67db.

By comparison, "It's the Same Old Song" with a replay gain of -12.45db was fine, as were the majority of tracks.

I have since fully resynced without the "Apply Replay Gain" option since I wanted to be able to use my iPod for the holiday and it works fine now (albeit not holding all the volumes steady) but would love if you could look into this some more.  It sounds like there may be a bug lurking.  The only ontion I changed was to uncheck the "Apply Replay Gain" option.  I wonder, since there are so many iPod users and not as many have reported these problems, whather it may be related to some specific way of syncing, e.g. the conversion from APE to mp3 on the fly -- since I believe most users probably maintain mp3 collections in Media Center.

Thanks.  -Tom

P.S.  Please note that I had the same issues on my wife's iPod mini with the "Let's Get Retarded" track so it is not just my unit, which is a G3 iPod.

SteveG

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2004, 09:54:26 am »

Tom,

Is it possible to try synching again at some point with the 'Apply Replay Gain' feature checked and then try boosting the volume adjustment by 4 db to put all the files in the range of +- 15db and let me know if this fixes the problem?

Thanks,

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up