INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SmartList to Interate Through Artist List Creating Individual PlayLists?  (Read 1360 times)

meehawl

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...

I am currently looking through some of the "limit" syntax posted here but I need some help.

I'd like to make a script/SmartList to iterate through all artists in the Media Library and create an individual Playlist for each Artist with the goal being to export them to m3u and dump them into an "Artist" directory. Any tips on SmartList syntax gratefully accepted!

Also, is there a way to persuade MC 10.0.173 iterate through each physical directory and create a playlist corresponding to each album directory? The goal here, again, is to export these as m3u into one "Album" directory.
Irish guy in San Francisco

lee269

• Citizen of the Universe
  • sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
Re:SmartList to Interate Through Artist List Creating Individual PlayLists?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 01:20:22 pm »

In short I dont think you can script anything in MC to write multiple m3u files with just a smartlist. Smartlists are just filters, and I dont think there are any iterations and actions you can assign to them.

m3u files seem to be simple text files with lists of filenames and paths. As far as I can see you are going to need to write something outside of MC to scan either your directories or an m3u of your library and split/create separate files based on artist changes. My programming skills are limited to VBA in Excel, and I can see a way to do it in that, so there must be a better way for the real programmers out there.

meehawl

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 03:41:27 pm »

As far as I can see you are going to need to write something outside of MC to scan either your directories or an m3u of your library and split/create separate files based on artist changes.

I was afraid of this. It's no real problem but MC is just such a cool interface that I don't like stepping outside of it to manage the media. A scripting engine with imperatives would make MC just that much cooler.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 04:43:06 pm »

If you want to program scripts to extend MC, you can easily create a VB (or VC++) plugin.  Have a look at the developer's area of the forum and also the DevZone. ( http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/devzone.html )
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 07:42:31 pm »

Just curious... why do you want to do this?  The navigation controls have plenty of ways to do the same thing, unless I am missing something you are trying to do.  So you would navigate in the tree under Audio and select Artist/Album and that gives you all the artists.

Plus, regular playlists are static, so you would have to re-run your program a lot.

meehawl

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 05:20:44 pm »

If you want to program scripts to extend MC, you can easily create a VB (or VC++) plugin.  Have a look at the developer's area of the forum and also the DevZone. ( http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/devzone.html )

I'll have a look, thanks. So much to do, so little time...

meehawl

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 05:25:57 pm »

Just curious... why do you want to do this?  The navigation controls have plenty of ways to do the same thing, unless I am missing something you are trying to do.  So you would navigate in the tree under Audio and select Artist/Album and that gives you all the artists. Plus, regular playlists are static, so you would have to re-run your program a lot.

I have just over 5000 individual artists listed in that menu. That's a lot of clicking! One of the hazards of collecting obscure German techno and jungle! Keeping playlists up to date on a per-directory batch basis (for situations where MC is not available to control playback) is a task best left to machines.
Pages: [1]   Go Up