INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transfering Smartlists/Playlists from one PC to another?  (Read 1831 times)

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Transfering Smartlists/Playlists from one PC to another?
« on: November 22, 2004, 06:39:33 am »

I have created a number of playlists and smartlists that I would like to transfer to my notebook.

What is the most appropriate way to do this? I would like to export only the rules of smartlists/playlists as the data (files/library) is already on the notebook. Exporting playlists seems to export all the tag infos. Thanks for helping!

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
Re:Transfering Smartlists/Playlists from one PC to another?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 07:40:18 am »

I have no easy way to do that, but I'd try taking the backup of your library to the laptop. Then the playlists and their rules will be there. You can always fix broken links to files if the music itself does not have the same path on each machine.

But yeah, I agree. I wish there were a way to save/export just the playlist logic.

Michel Lefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 07:50:24 am »

But yeah, I agree. I wish there were a way to save/export just the playlist logic.

That would also make it super easy to share Smartlists with other users on Interact

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 04:22:39 pm »

I Too Would Love To See This Feature (for Smartlists and View Schemes anyway).

I'm not sure why the regular old Playlist Export feature doesn't work for your regular playlists.  If you switch the Export Format to M3U it just exports the file list (full path) with no other tag info (M3U files are just plain text files that list the path to MP3s one per line).

As far as some proposed future exporting of Smartlists.  This would be nice, but it would be important to me to also allow you to export View Schemes in a similar manner.  I don't actually use "real" smartlists very often.  Instead I use regular View Schemes with a search entered in the "Edit View Scheme" dialog.  This lets you have all the benefits of Smartlists, and the benefits of View Schemes as well (including tree population and whatnot).  I typically only use actual Smartlists for quick-built lists, or short (time or track limited) lists.

Oh, and an easy way to copy over all the smartlists?  Just copy over the Library!  You can easily remove all the files and re-import them from their proper locations on the second PC.  Of course, if you have data in your current library that you want to save this won't work.  If you want to give it a try, I have also had success simply copying the  (with MC10, I never tried it with MC11) "playlistx.jmd" and possibly "curplaylist.jmd" (I'm not sure if you need this one or not, I can't remember) files over from one library to another.  If you go this route, you can keep all your library data, but copy over just the playlists and smartlists.  Of course, this removes all the playlists and smartlists that pre-exist on the destination machine (if any), so it wouldn't work to "merge" the two sets of playlists.

Again, I did this with MC10, but never tried it with MC11.  Also make sure you back up your library before you try it (I just copy the entire library folder over to another location on the hard drive.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 04:56:50 pm »

glynor,

thank you for the hint to export in m3u format. Tried it out and it works.

The big disadvantage is that you have to export every single playlist/smartlist individually. You cannot export a playlist group and all the playlists below. If you have a few it's ok, but if you have a few dozens it is a headache.

I also tried to use them together with view schemes, but there you cannot create a tree of playlists on the pane view, so it is helpful for just a few playlists.

mattsnuts

• Junior Woodchuck
  • that'll do
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 11:32:47 pm »

I also need to copy the view schemes from one computer to another.

I wonder if copying the entire Data directory from the one PC to the other would work?

Or how about the Restore Library command, and restoring from a backup made on the source computer?

I'm too scared to try this myself...

-Matt
Listening to: 'Retrospect For Life (feat. Lauryn Hill)' by 'Common' on Media Center 9.1
Pages: [1]   Go Up