INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP3 encoding sloooooow  (Read 1532 times)

nwnerd

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
MP3 encoding sloooooow
« on: November 17, 2004, 10:31:43 pm »

Hello,
I'm using MC 9.1 & recently upgraded a bunch of my hardware which resulted in my having to do a nuke & pave.  When I re-installed & registered MC 9.1, I had to download the Lame encoder to rip/encode to mp3.  Well, the upshot is that the encoding is extremely slow.  When the setting is for rip/encode simultaneously, it shows less than 1x for ripping, whereas it used to show 6x-7x on my old, slower machine.   ?  I don't think it's a hardware problem because the .ape encoder seems to work fine at up to 17x, which is faster than my old machine.  I've checked DMA settings, etc in my hardware profiles & they are enabled, & so far on this hardware rebuild this is the only software problem that I've run into.  So can anyone help with this?  I'd much appreciate it.

Omni

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:MP3 encoding sloooooow
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 01:40:07 am »

You should check out this thread.   Start at the bottom and work your way backwards.   It may be related.

nwnerd

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 02:11:37 am »

Thanks for the link.  I may be able to pull the old lame.exe file off of my old setup since I haven't formatted the drive yet.  If not, that thread gave me some alternate ways of getting around the problem, hopefully something will work.

nwnerd

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 11:50:40 pm »

Omni,
I just wanted to say thanks again for the heads up & to post my solution.  I was able to retrieve the old Lame.exe file from the old pc before I formatted the drive & that fixed the slow ripping problem.  My ripping/encoding speeds are hitting 11x, much better than the 0.9x that I was seeing before.

Omni

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 12:44:18 am »

Glad that link led to your solution!  :)

BTW, if you ever lose your favorite encoder, you can generally find it again at RareWares if all else fails.  (The name is a misnomer of sorts.  It is not a piracy site!!!!!  :o  :P)

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 02:35:37 am »

All the links and info you will ever need for the Lame encoder are on the sticky threads at the top of the MP3 board at HA:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showforum=15
JLee

Omni

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 01:45:01 pm »

All the links and info you will ever need for the Lame encoder are on the sticky threads at the top of the MP3 board at HA:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showforum=15

Actually, that's not true, hence why I didn't cite that link.  ;)  They only provide a direct link to 3.90.3.  To easily find all the other variants, one needs to visit Roberto's site.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up