INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help with blank album field duplicate songs  (Read 819 times)

ForsakenArdor

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I hate Jay Leno.
Need help with blank album field duplicate songs
« on: November 30, 2004, 07:31:34 am »

Hello, I'm using 10.0.173 and I'm having problems with library uploading/synchronizing with my iPod for different versions of the same song by the same artist that have a blank album field.  I have exactly five files; one song has two versions, the other song has three versions.  I differentiate the files by using the comment field, saying where the song was performed or what version of the song it is (acoustic, remix, etc.).  If I try synchronizing, I get a warning for two songs with duplicates and whatever gets uploaded, only one version of the two songs gets uploaded.  I have an 'all songs' smartlist, so nothing is supposed to be excluded.  If I open the handheld window and manually drag the missing songs in, the same thing happens.

My comment field is a bit more elaborate, having recording dates, venue name, city, state, etc., so I will give you a simplified example...

Artist/Name/Album/Comment
-----------------------------------------------------
A   / Song 1 / (blank) / live version
A   / Song 1 / (blank) / acoustic version
B   / Song 9 / (blank) / remix
B   / Song 9 / (blank) / live version 1
B   / Song 9 / (blank) / live version 2

Can someone tell me how to get MC to recognize these files as different ones so that they would be uploadable?  I don't want to use the album field because navigating through a bunch of one-song albums on the iPod is undesirable and it would be better to have all of the non-album songs under 'unassigned'.  If I assign track numbers, then a number bias would be imposed and I'd rather they would be in alphabetical order for easier browsing.  Thanks.

EpF

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Need help with blank album field duplicate songs
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 10:10:27 am »

Hi - I had a similar issue with my Nomad Jukebox recently, and I came to the conclusion that I needed to rename the versions with the comment added to the title.  I 'm still confused about some aspects of the upload process, so don't take my word as gospel, but if you rename like so:

Artist/Name/Album/Comment
-----------------------------------------------------
A  / Song 1 (live version)/ (blank) / live version
A  / Song 1 (acoustic version)/ (blank) / acoustic version
B  / Song 9 (remix)/ (blank) / remix
B  / Song 9 (live version 1)/ (blank) / live version 1
B  / Song 9 (live version 2)/ (blank) / live version 2

your problem would be solved. (Use 'Rename Files from Properties', then 'Fill Properties from Filename')

Can someone tell me how to get MC to recognize these files as different ones so that they would be uploadable?

I don't think the problem is MC recognising them as different files, I think the problem is the Handheld recognising them as different files...

ForsakenArdor

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I hate Jay Leno.
Re:Need help with blank album field duplicate songs
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 02:59:25 pm »

Thanks for the reply, EpF.  The problem with doing that is that the 'Duplicates' property of the file would be lost and I would have smartlists that could have me listening to the same song over and over again after syncing.

I also have a very specific file naming scheme.
c:\iPod\[Artist\[Album] - [Track #] - [Name]
And for files with only the comment field to differentiate, I just add ([comment]) to the 'rename files from...' thing.  So that's not the problem.  The iPod files are all number names anyhow.

I know MC can differentiate, but I thought something could be done in the upload process so handhelds could too.  But, for iPods, anyway, there's only artist, name, album, track number, genre and composer.  For now, my solution was to just give them different track numbers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up