INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lossless Audio standard  (Read 1077 times)

keyvan

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Lossless Audio standard
« on: October 28, 2002, 10:44:15 am »

Hi
I am a new convert to MJ and I am very pleased with it so far. I have been using the beta of WMP 9 and using it to experiment with the "mathematically lossless" compression for wma files. I am also aware of the .ape format from moneky audio. My eventual aim is to retire the couple of Sony jukeboxes I have now running off my home automation server (with Nirvis Slink-e) and replace them with a hard disk based system to serve as my audio server for whole-house use with some high(ish) end audio kit - external D/A's etc.
Can anyone possibly help with the choice of standard to encode in very high quality format?
If I go with the ape files from Monkey Audio then what if I need support for players which may not support the format (e.g a web tablet running CE or similar).
Is there a Monkey audio playback codec for Windows Media player?
Ideally I would like to use Media Jukebox server as the main audio server software.
I would really like to settle on a lossless compression standard now in order to start ripping and cataloging my several hundred cd collection! Don't want have to do that more than once  :-/
Any advice on the subject will be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance.

Keyvan Rahimian (London - UK)

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Lossless Audio standard
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2002, 12:29:02 pm »

>>Can anyone possibly help with the choice of standard to encode in very high quality format?

Formats for Lossless:
Ape (directly supp'd by MJ)
FLAC (supported by MJ through WinAmp plug-ins)
Wav (using WavePak - directly supp'd by MJ)
& many others

Formats for Lossy:
Ogg (directly supp'd by MJ, -q 6 or better)
MPC (directly supp'd by MJ, 0.00000000001% better than Ogg)
MP3 (directly supp'd by MJ, use --alt -preset standard (VBR mode) for encoding w/ LAME 3.92)
and a few others (AAC for one)

>>If I go with the ape files from Monkey Audio then what if I need support for players which may not support the format

Then you transcode from one of the lossless formats to a supported lossy (or lossless format)

>>Is there a Monkey audio playback codec for Windows Media player?

I think WMP has been hacked so that it would play Oggs, maybe true with Ape. WMP (and the WMA format) is proprietary MS, and v9 does all sorts of awful things to your computer. Keep v7.1 around for legacy purposes, otherwise....forget about it.

>>I would really like to settle on a lossless compression standard

Matt (who wrote it) makes a strong case for Ape. Do a little research on the pros/cons of Ape.

Xenno

keyvan

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2002, 01:07:30 pm »

Thanks
I think I will settle for monkey audio or wav in the long run. I am concerned if I should keep using wmp 9 at all after your observations!!
I have heard other reactions (similar to yours and worse!!) about what wmp 9 sets out to do to your pc and media files. Some stuff about DRM being used in a "big brother" way etc.
I think I will continue my designs around non-MS only standards. As far as web tablet type controls go, I have just had a look at the latest web remote plug-in and if my skills extend to it, will use a customised web page for controling it.
Many thanks for your input.

Regards

Keyvan R

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2002, 01:20:14 pm »

Key,

>>Some stuff about DRM being used in a "big brother" way etc.

Oh yeah, my brother installed v9 on his machine which also has Adaptec/Roxio DirectCD on. Formatted (DirectCD) disks could only be reliably read on his machine. I noted the date the trouble started and guess what? Started the day V9 was installed.

So I killed v9. It not only uninstalled itself but also DCD as well. What it left me with was a very unstable machine. DCD wouldn't reinstall correctly again......and the end came when it wouldn't reboot at all without a BSOD. Had to reinstall W2000 and everything else.

So.......be careful.......proceed with caution

Xenno
Pages: [1]   Go Up