INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Considerable Volume Difference in Playlist Songs  (Read 2639 times)

theduke44

• Change this by choosing profile
Considerable Volume Difference in Playlist Songs
« on: November 30, 2004, 10:20:03 pm »

I will play a group of songs from a playlist or genre, my "Chill" genre for example, and when the music starts the volume is considerably lower than when I play one song from my whole music library individually.  The same thing happens when I play the same song from the playlist/genre list and I switch to play that song individually from my library.  It's way louder playing directly from the library.  What gives??  I have tried volume adjustments, MC settings, etc but nothing's working.  Thanks.

theduke44

Re:Considerable Volume Difference in Playlist Songs
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 11:06:50 pm »

I have not analyzed any of my songs - I do not want to as I like how they sound now playing straight from my entire library.  The replay gain is turned on.  This is driving me crazy because I will play one song: I'll play it straight from my music library and it sounds loud and much better.  Then I'll play the same song from the genre list where it's located, and it sounds much worse and more quiet.  What's going on??

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 12:24:23 am »

I have not analyzed any of my songs - I do not want to as I like how they sound now playing straight from my entire library.  The replay gain is turned on.  This is driving me crazy because I will play one song: I'll play it straight from my music library and it sounds loud and much better.  Then I'll play the same song from the genre list where it's located, and it sounds much worse and more quiet.  What's going on??
So, how do I do this to see what happens on my system?

I mean, what do you mean "straight from my music library"?

Which Genre list for the other method?

I'll do the same on some selections here and tell you what I find. I do not analyze and do not have Replay Gain enabled.

adamsp70

• World Citizen
  • Unwired for sound...
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 08:28:45 am »

Turning Replay Gain on will do nothing if you haven't analyzed all your tracks.

Don't worry - analyzing them isn't the same as normalizing - it won't change the MP3 at all, it merely gives it a "score" which is then used by Replay Gain to shift the entire track up or down in volume to fit in with all your other tracks.

Give it go - you'll be pleased with the results....

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 09:29:39 am »

Turning Replay Gain on will do nothing if you haven't analyzed all your tracks.

Don't worry - analyzing them isn't the same as normalizing - it won't change the MP3 at all, it merely gives it a "score" which is then used by Replay Gain to shift the entire track up or down in volume to fit in with all your other tracks.

Give it go - you'll be pleased with the results....

Where does the analyze data get written? In the music file or in the database?

adamsp70

• World Citizen
  • Unwired for sound...
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 09:33:13 am »

Stored as an ID tag in the file

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 11:10:35 am »

The default is to store in file tags (when posible)

But this can be overridden, to not store in the file but only in the library.

I still think analysing is worthwhile, i use the BPM info for making smartlists based on BPM...it works well for stuff below 100 BPM.

theduke44

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 11:51:14 am »

For some odd reaon, this is only happening in my "chill out" genre.  And it's not because of the softer style of music.  For GHammer, turn on MC, get to your complete library (where all of your songs are listed).  Play just one song from the complete library for a minute.  Stop it, then click on the genre where that song is situated, and play that same song from the genre list.  It' so much more quiet when I do that!

For Adamsp70, I analyzed 2 songs in my library and could already notice a considerable volume and "thump" difference in the song.  Is it because I have replay gain turned on?

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 12:05:07 pm »

Ok, I went to the tree and clicked Audio, I guess that is where you mean by 'complete library'.

I played a song for about 2 minutes. Stopped playback.
I scrolled down the genre list, clicked on the right genre, played the same song.

I have no difference in volume.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 12:07:34 pm »

The default is to store in file tags (when posible)

But this can be overridden, to not store in the file but only in the library.

I still think analysing is worthwhile, i use the BPM info for making smartlists based on BPM...it works well for stuff below 100 BPM.

I agree if you use the data for playlists it is useful.

I'm just rather anal about my files. I don't like 'extra' tags written to them. And, I don't find replay gain useful for me.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 01:32:07 pm »

I'm just rather anal about my files. I don't like 'extra' tags written to them. And, I don't find replay gain useful for me.

Many ppl dont like extra tags inserted into their files as it messes with checksums files like md5 or sfv.

I tried to draw a line in the midde for information that i would rather not lose in the event of library corruption, things like ratings etc and track info. Stuff that takes lots of time to fill out properly etc.

Replay gain as it is is useful if you like to make playlists of random tracks form a genre. volume normalised etc. Where it might not be appropriate is when you want to listen to an album in its entirety.

In this case there is such a thing as Album gain which will preserve the highs & lows that the artist intended but base the loudness on a common point rather than volume level across all tracks in replay gain. Im not sure if album gain is an option in v11...(think it is not sure)

Simple

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 05:18:41 pm »

Question:
To avoid volume difference I use 'Replay Gain' (http://replaygain.hydrogenaudio.org/).
After analyzing the tracks I import them to MC 11. It works with my 'Compilation-CD's' in the car player. And never had any volume problems using my iPod.

Is there an easier way to do this within MC in one step?

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004, 10:32:18 pm »

Question:
To avoid volume difference I use 'Replay Gain' (http://replaygain.hydrogenaudio.org/).
After analyzing the tracks I import them to MC 11. It works with my 'Compilation-CD's' in the car player. And never had any volume problems using my iPod.

Is there an easier way to do this within MC in one step?

No. The tool you use changes the MP3 header so any MP3 player will "know" the correct volume. The MC analyze works only with MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up