INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: problem playing large mpg files  (Read 1235 times)

paik

• Change this by choosing profile
problem playing large mpg files
« on: December 05, 2004, 02:09:35 pm »

I'm having problems playing large mpg (200 mb) files in a playlist. After a while, say having played 10 files, the next file is played at double or triple speed and sounds has changed to a very annoying noise. After this, the next files will be played either in the same error-mode, or as normal.

Anyone know what the problem could be, or how to fix it? I'm playing the files with the most recent version of MS DirectX in Media Center.

Thanks!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: problem playing large mpg files
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 08:25:02 pm »

I suspect that your problem has to do with a misbehaving CODEC.  If you construct a similar scenario in WiMP (Windows Media Player), including using a playlist and playing several files in sucession, do you get the same result?

Do you notice that it is certain MPEGs and not others (can you test this out)?  What type of MPEG files are they that misbehave?  MPEG-1, MPEG-2, or MPEG-4?  Are these the VOB files you mentioned in your other post?  And what codec is your system using to render the file?  Do you have any weird or specialty codec's installed on your system (Angelpotion or anything like that)?

If you don't know what codecs you have, get the G-Spot Codec information tool (which is here http://gspot.headbands.com/) and use it to tell me.  You should also know that it is definately not everyone who has this problem, I've never seen that!

BTW, this is irrelevant to the discussion, but I wouldn't say necessarily that 200 MB mpeg files are large (since most video files would be larger than that really).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 08:26:35 pm »

I also forgot to ask...  Can you correct the speed problem by "adjusting" the position of the video back a little bit (using the slider in WiMP or MC) and have it go back to normal speed?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

paik

• Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2004, 07:24:17 am »

Thanks for your help. The problem does not occur in WiMP (but it has other problems; some files won't play at all...). The problem persists with all kinds of mpeg files (except for small ones). It's not only with the vob files i mentioned in my other post, also other large mpeg files.

I installed the G-Spot tool. It appears the codec I'm using is from Cyberlink. A codec comming with the Dell PowerDVD program installed on my comp. Do you have a suggestion for another Codec? Please tell me.

Kinda weird I'm the only one...
I can't solve the problem by adjusting the position of video playback.

Myabe also interesting to tell: whenever the error-mode occurs, all of the sudden my processor jumps to a 100 percent usage. Strange thing is, it doesn't matter how many other tasks I have running. The error-mode may as well appear while there are no other processes running.

200 MB. Yes well, they are clips of only 2 to 3 minutes... I have not compressed the files.

Thanks for your help! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up