INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi-instance/multi-sound card support  (Read 1113 times)

rmbracalente

• nothing more to say...
Multi-instance/multi-sound card support
« on: October 27, 2002, 06:24:59 pm »

Does MJ support multiple instances running on the same computer, with each instance sending the output to a differnet sound card?

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
Re: Multi-instance/multi-sound card support
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2002, 01:05:00 am »

The short answer is no.

The longer answer is that there has been some requests for it (especially from me...) but so far nothing has happened. I do not know if it's planned for version 9, but I doubt it. My guess is that there's not enough demand for it, so we'll have to stick to MJB for the main zone and a bunch of WinAmps for the other zones.  :'(
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

rmbracalente

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2002, 03:43:14 am »

I already have multiple versions of WinAmp working with dual sound cards.  The problem is that I can't find decent gIRder support for it (especially being able to support receiving different IR commands for different zones).  gIRder's too complicated to program from scratch...I'm looking for something I can install, configure the remote buttons and go!

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2002, 11:05:17 am »

Don't sweat it, it's really easy. You take the original Winamp group, copy it to a group using the name to the other exe and directory (I use "winampbad" for the bathroom and "winampkev" for my son Kevin's room, for instance). Then you set the group target to the correct Winamp and just learn it the codes from the remote you want to use for that Zone. About 20 minutes per zone, tops.

I got a more advanced system with Girder registers opening playlists (for instance if I press 666 on the remote, I get Mercyful Fate's brilliant "Don't Break the Oath" CD). This takes me about 40 minutes to program fully when I add another zone. I will add one in a few weeks, there's still room for two more soundcards in my pc - I'm using an Audigy Platinum EX for the Home Theater and Living Room zones, a Live of some sort or another for the bathroom, the internal C-Media soundcard of the mobo for the bedroom and an Aopen soundcard for my son's room. The next room that needs it's own zone (I laid the cable for it today) is the guest room. Believe me, this is something I enjoy doing after working with translation all day!  ;D
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system
Pages: [1]   Go Up