INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: problems with synchronizing zones  (Read 2317 times)

gugl

problems with synchronizing zones
« on: December 03, 2004, 09:07:37 am »

hello!
i am playing music in my cafe by using media center 11 and a darla24 soundcard from echo.  after synchronizing zones with each other you can realize time delays between the zones very soon. what can i do?

thank you soo much for your support!

dag-inge

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re:problems with synchronizing zones
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 01:26:29 pm »

I've the same problem!

regards,

Dag-Inge

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 02:03:14 pm »

Try a little search on the forum. I have answered that question many times the last months.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

gugl

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 02:51:21 pm »

hello!
thanks for your answer. i looked through your messages but couldn't find anything. why do those those time delays exist? they build up  the longer you play the music. i only use one soundcard!
i'm pretty frustrated and need to build a mixer now....

thank you!

jahn

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 04:39:42 pm »

Actually I have answered mostly as to this: The sync does not really work as of now. The way to do it is to have one "master zone" that you feed into the digital input (or analogue if the best possible sound quality isn't critical, and during parties it seldom is) of the sound cards in the other zones. Then you let Girder (or manually - which of course is out of the question for me!) mute and unmute the inputs that you want to use or not want to use with this synchronized playback. That is as of now the only possibility for  100 % sync.

Btw Jahn and Dag Inge? Sounds pretty norwegian to me... Skål for Gnore!  ;)
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

milknkukis

• World Citizen
  • Crumbs!
Re: problems with synchronizing zones
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 09:01:00 am »

Dear All,
I've been thinking about this, the way that the playback drifts between zones. Does this mean that tracks in some zones aren't playing at the correct speeds? I know it is such a slight difference in speed that you would never notice, BUT it does make a difference when you have multiple zones. How does media center control the playback speed? Is it linked to the PC clock in some way? Is there anything else which could be done to keep zones tied together or increase the accuracy of the playback?
Just some random thoughts instead of doing proper work... :)
cheers
mark

gugl

Re: proposal for problems with synchronizing zones
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 09:23:20 am »

hi there,
i assume that the multi-zone system had been developed with the intention to run different music  in different rooms. therefore, i am not surprised about the delays between the channels while playing only one song on all channels. the pc has to manage the same song in as many bit-streams as you have configured your channels. since i can control the volume on all channels with my sound card why doesn't media center establishes a subroutine that sends out only one bitstream to all channels? i hope i am not too naive....

milknkukis

• World Citizen
  • Crumbs!
Re: problems with synchronizing zones
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 09:40:28 am »

I think this is the root of the issue, instead of doing this, the current method for syncronizing (i'm guessing) copies the playlist to all zones, pauses the current zone then sets all zone playing from that point.
Is there anyway media center might handle sync-ing differently in the future?
mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up