INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I still can't synch my iPod, even with 11.0.159  (Read 5112 times)

benrad

I still can't synch my iPod, even with 11.0.159
« on: December 09, 2004, 11:06:55 pm »

Sorry to keep bringing this up, but again, with build 148, my iPod is no longer able to synch. I assume I need to reinitialize again. Should I use iTunes until we get further along in the process?
 [the above was written under extreme stress last night, I will now be more specific]

I upgraded the 11.0.146 build (which worked fine) to 148 last night. When I attached my iPod, MC asked to identify all attached devices, including my external FW drive & it's attached card readers. I waded through those messages, and then it asked to identify the iPod. I agreed with everything. I am able to browse the iPod, like normal, but when I attempt to synchronize, I am told that I will have -18 GB left after synchronization.

I use a single playlist to synchronize (using the iPod = Yes custom field method, which I learned in this forum). I assume that MC is not seeing the files on my iPod or is not associating them with my current playlist. I tried rebuilding the database from the iPod, but that didn't seem to work.

Is there anything else I can do other than reinitializing my iPod?

benrad

Re: My iPod is hosed again.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 09:05:48 am »

I updated my first post with more precise, less emotional information.

10sne1

• World Citizen
Re: I am having trouble synching my iPod with .148.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 11:29:20 am »

I use a single playlist to synchronize (using the iPod = Yes custom field method, which I learned in this forum). I assume that MC is not seeing the files on my iPod or is not associating them with my current playlist. I tried rebuilding the database from the iPod, but that didn't seem to work.

benrad, can you point me to that link?  So far I've only tried to install mp3's by putting a few into playlists and syncing them but I don't think the file structure is right on my ipod since I can see everything on ipod perfectly through media center but when I use the ipod a playlist is missing or I can't see songs which on on playlists which are listed.  I'm willing to learn proper procedure but it's not intuitive (not working the way I'd expect) I'm new to syncing my ipod to media center and running into all sorts of problems...  Maybe if I do it your way which you've learned from the forum.

benrad

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 08:35:41 am »

Actually, what version of MC are you using? This may be related to the latest builds of 11.

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 05:55:46 pm »

Yes, I've only been trying since the last few versions of Media Center, right now 11.0.148 and a couple before. 
Where is STEVE??

benrad

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 09:08:32 pm »

I just reinitialized my iPod, loaded the music back onto it (17 GB worth), and when I try to synchronize, after making some changes, it gives me the same problem. When I select my playlist, it tells me I'll have -15 GB after sync. When I unselect it, it tells me I'll have 550 MB. This is quite irritating.

benrad

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 09:04:51 pm »

Yeah, where is Steve? Is he OK?

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: I am having trouble synching my iPod with 11.0.149
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 11:43:37 am »

Yeah, where is Steve? Is he OK?

OK, but preoccupied. Thanks for asking.

When I select my playlist, it tells me I'll have -15 GB after sync.

Is MC notifying you that you have duplicates (when you initiate the sync)?

after making some changes....

Did these changes involve changing either the 'Name, Artist, ALbum, Genre or Track Number ' tags for files on iPod? If so, the files would be resent which could account for what you are seeing.

Steve

benrad

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004, 02:54:26 pm »

OK, but preoccupied. Thanks for asking.

Don't you know you're supposed to spend every waking moment taking care of my synching needs?   ;)

Is MC notifying you that you have duplicates (when you initiate the sync)?

No, it's notifying me that I will be adding 16 GB of data and my iPod has no room left. I assume it's going to sync my iPod playlist, which is already on the iPod.

Did these changes involve changing either the 'Name, Artist, ALbum, Genre or Track Number ' tags for files on iPod? If so, the files would be resent which could account for what you are seeing.

No, I the only changes I made were removing tracks from my iPod Sync playlist.

It's like MC is not seeing everything that's already on my iPod.

benrad

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2004, 03:14:19 pm »

I reinitialized my iPod again, and then noticed that there seemd to be remnants of "songs" left over in the directory structure (multiple Fx folders). I deleted them, and then MC reported that there was 18GB available on my handheld. So now I'm synching again. I'll make some changes to the playlist when it's done, and see if I can get a successful sync after that.

Thanks again Steve to you and your dedication to this part of MC. You're incredibly responsive and helpful, and I hope everyone hear appreciates it. As an IT support person, I understand the utter disgust you feel when people ask you "stupid questions." Thanks for being patient.

SteveG

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 10:50:25 am »

benrad,

Thanks for your note.

FYI, until the next build or MC, there is some strange behavior in how MC reports files on the iPod. It has to do with some database optimization that was added recently. The problems are fixed in the next build.

Thanks again,

Steve

benrad

Re: I still can't synch my iPod, even with 11.0.159
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2004, 09:02:49 pm »

I don't know if it's me, or what, but I just wiped my iPod again, synchronized about 15 GB worth of data. I went back and added some items to a playlist, tried to synch again, and it's doing the same thing (-15 GB after synch).

I'm using the latest build.

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2004, 10:08:12 pm »

Same here.  I have very little music on my new ipod.  Tried to add a new playlist and get message that I have room for 0 bytes.  Won't do it.    It shows I have negative 362.8 MB available.

benrad

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2004, 10:12:23 pm »

Well, it's good to know that I'm not just an idiot.   :P

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2004, 11:10:22 pm »

I'm also having problems with MC11.0.159 and syncing with my iPod.
.159 has stopped crashing when I browse the artists/albums etc which is a great start, but syncing is still an issue.

Some notes on my setup:
I have all my files stored in MC as WMA lossless
The only MP3 fiels I have are the Stations for my iTrip

What I have done so far:
1) I created a ALL MUSIC (all music files excluding the iTrip station MP3s) playlist and sync'd this to my iPod (doing a conversion to VBR MP3 on the fly), this sync too 3 full days due to the conversion!!!  But it worked   SWEET!!!

2) I created a new Playlist in MC "iTrip Stations" which is just the iTrip MP3 files.

What I have noticed thus far in testing:

1) I tried to sync the iTrip Stations playlist to the iPod while un-ticking the "Enable File Conversion" option.  The sync started off and flew through the files really quickly. Half way through MC came up with a dialog box listing all the iTrip MP3s saying the upload failed.
I checked the iPod and some of the files had been transferred, but the MC iPod Database didn't reflect this.

2) I rebuild the DB from iPod and deleted the iTrip MP3s that had been transferred and tried again, same result.

3) This time after re-building DB again I ticked the option to "Enable File Conversion" Selected VBR MP3 and then ticked the option to ignore same file type and kicked off the Sync.
Now the transfer is A LOT slower, about 1 second per 89KB file, but it does complete right through the 323 files.

Now that the files are over, the playlist and files don't appear in the iPod list within MC until I exit and reload MC.  (refresh screen issue here I think?)

4) OK so I have the files & playlist showing up on my iPod, so the next step is to try to Sync the same playlist (with no changes to list or files). In theory nothing should be transferred as nothing has changed...right???
So I did this keeping the settings from (3) above. The transfer starts and MC sends all the files over again, creating duplicates on the iPod, but not showing them in the DB (even after an exit and restart).

So I can Sync a playlist once (with conversion on), but have to make sure the playlist doesn't have any files that already exist on the iPod otherwise I end up with duplicates.

Then I have to delete the files shown in the DB, re-build the DB and delete the duplicates from the DB as well.

Sorry this is a bit long, but I'm sure the more info I can provide the easier it will be to debug (I've done my share of code cutting in the past!).

Richard

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2004, 01:48:52 am »

Same problem of MC reporting that -32.6 GB would result if I synched my Ipod.

Also trying to add tracks to the Ipod via "send to" in this build (as in the past few) doesn't work either.

Will wait for the next build but a bit disappointed (yes I know it's alpha/beta software but MC has always been so good for Ipods!).

John

Crayola Boy

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2004, 04:56:19 am »

Same build, same problem here.

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2004, 07:12:06 am »

Good thing my husband loves me!  When trying to get this new version of MC working with the iPod I created a new playlist on MC and tried to sync it to the iPod.  I got the error message reported a few posts back (no room on iPod--actually negative room) and I knew that didn't work (saw no files being transferred and got the message telling me it wouldn't work).  This morning he took the iPod to use an existing playlist for his spinning class---came home telling me ALL playlists were gone.
I never checked.  I felt like an idiot and now he is again saying we should quit using MC to set up this iPod and go back to iTunes.  NO!  I say NO--patience my dear.  IT WILL WORK SOON!  I hope I'm right and not just stubborn.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2004, 07:25:15 am »

Further to my previous post, the playlists show up in MC, but aren't on the iPod.

I have a blank playlist (no title, just a blank line) and then the On The Go playlist only on the iPod, but a "iTrip Stations" Playlist in MC.

I tried to browse by artist, and the iTrip files I sent via my playlist don't even appear uner artist on the iPod (they are physically on the iPod, but it appears the iPod DB isn't being updated correctly.

Files I Synced using MC11.0.146 are displayed but not ones since I upgraded (?)  to .159.

Richard

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2004, 08:44:22 am »

New status:  Again, I'm using .159.  I was able to choose the songs in the playlist I wanted to transfer on MC, drag them to iPod in tree and they were set to transfer.  I was able to transfer them to iPod.  I am now able to complete the synchronize routine for the playlists I want on the iPod.  Don't know why I'm able to do it today and last night it was impossible without the error message of being too full.  Now they appear in tree under Playlist in iPod.  So Media Center looks fine.  Well, kindda fine.  The songs in the playlists appear in different order.  I noticed this before but when I checked the ipod (this is before this recent build) they were in the correct order on iPod, just not listed that way on Media Center.

BUT, when I look on my iPod I'm having similar issues as in previous builds.  The playlists are all gone.  I look under listing of songs and I see some songs listed many many times (do you want me to count?  Probably related to how many times I've tried to synchronize).  The other songs are there and look fine, just don't appear in playlists.

SteveG

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2004, 09:09:59 am »

Everyone,

Please sit tight.  A new build with further changes/fixes is on its way today.

Steve

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2004, 11:09:17 am »

Thanks Steve - I know I must have patience but life without a fully working Ipod is difficult. As if Christmas wasn't stressful enough...

John

SteveG

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2004, 02:44:51 pm »

Let's get iPod working today and then conquer world peace and good will towards men on the 24th  ;)

New build should be available soon.

Steve

benrad

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2004, 02:50:44 pm »

I bought mah girl an iPod and was all psyched to show her with what ease we can manage playlists and the like on MC, and last night, we sat in front of the old computer for about 2 hours, while I cursed, and screamed, and she quickly became uninterested and wandered away clutching the iPod. It's a sad Christmas in Ben's house.

SteveG

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2004, 02:58:29 pm »

ben,

160 coming soon and with it, hopefully some Christmas joy for you and yer girl.

Steve

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2004, 08:10:59 pm »

Using .161 now.  Same problems with playlist not appearing, etc. 
I reformatted the ipod with MC and tried again from scratch.
Voila!  All looks in order now.  Just asked MC to synchronize the playlists and all music was added, playlists appear, what more can I ask??

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2004, 08:30:24 pm »

I didn't have to go as far as a reformat.

Just get MC to reload DB from iPod, this seemed to clear things up for me.

Merry Xmas everybody and happy iPodding!!

Richard

benrad

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2004, 09:08:08 pm »

Same here, enjoy...and thanks to Larry for his amazingly great 2 iPods on one system synchronization scheme. It's pretty handy.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Pages: [1]   Go Up