INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 11 broke iTunes music playing on iPod  (Read 1807 times)

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
MC 11 broke iTunes music playing on iPod
« on: December 16, 2004, 12:33:48 pm »

well. . . I got a new iPod photo and when I first synced it, I had forgotten to transfer a file using iTunes first, so all my .mp4 files wouldn't play (the iPod just skipped through them). So, then I transfered some songs using iTunes, went back to MC and synced, then everything was fine.

But now it's broken again. Grrr.

I have .149 on my computer, but I last synced with .146 I think (was that the one that was up there for a week or longer? I think so.)

One odd thing is that when I did sync, it put duplicates of the files I had transferred via iTunes. I still have those dupes listed, but none of those files play, regardless of which program put them on the iPod.

So, what's the easiest/fastest way to fix this? Was this a known problem with one of the recent versions of MC 11?

Thanks.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 11 broke iTunes music playing on iPod
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 11:38:01 am »

tlongacre,

Switching back and forth between iTunes and MC is not perfect and may be problematic.  If MC put duplicates of files on iPod after a transfer with iTunes, it most likely has to do with MC taking into account the 'Track Number' field when deteriming duplicates or other tag related issues between iTunes and MC. It is complicated to explain.  The fastest way to fix it is to start with a clean iPod, use MC and do not use iTunes.

Steve

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 11:47:17 am »

Okay, I'll wipe it. But w/60gb, it takes freakin' forever to fill the thing up. . .

But, if I start back at zero (and how far back, initialize? or reformat?) -- don't I have to copy at least one song over in iTunes?

I have been using iTunes to copy photos -- do you think that is a problem? Or just doing a couple of albums of songs rather than just one song?

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 02:23:47 pm »

Okay, I'll wipe it. But w/60gb, it takes freakin' forever to fill the thing up. . .

Before you wipe it, try doing a 'Rebuild database from iPod' which will be much faster and may resolve the issues. 

If you reinitialize, you should not need to transfer a file with iTunes to resolve the licensing. After a reformat, you will. .

I have been using iTunes to copy photos -- do you think that is a problem? Or just doing a couple of albums of songs rather than just one song?

It will be a problem if you have files that have the same 'Name, Artist, Album, Genre, and Track Number' fields which can occur in both of those cases.  When files have all those fields the same, MC cannot resolve a unique match for the file and treats them as duplicates.

Steve

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 12:36:27 pm »

Well, just to report that I did reformat and reinitialize the iPod and now everything seems to be working fine. One of the reasons I decided to reformat was because I noticed that the iPod has some "zero" files on it (files with 0 bytes). I had that happen sometime one or two iPods and many versions of MC ago and it just seemed best to wipe everything out and start over.

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 09:23:24 am »

tlongacre,

Glad all is better. So many variables (iTunes, MC, iPod, tracks, other hardware, etc) it is hard to know where to point the finger for the trouble. If you see anything again, try to narrow down a replicable pattern and then we can discern if it is an MC problem.

Thanks for the update.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up