INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiuser media libraries?  (Read 944 times)

ncriss1234

• Recent member
  • Fight for your digital rights--www.eff .org
Multiuser media libraries?
« on: October 27, 2002, 12:58:54 am »

Maybe this is more of a feature request than a question. If so I apologize for not putting it in the MJ9 Beta group...

Where are the media library and playlist files stored? Does MJ use file-locking that would allow multi-users to read/write? What I'm getting at is: it would be cool to have all music plus the actual library data on a network share that more than one person can access at a time. Then, if someone adds a song, edits a playlist, etc, everyone sees the changes.

Note: Media Server is awesome, but I can't seem to get reliable streaming over my DSL connection so it's only good on my home LAN. Also, it's read-only. It'd be nice if you could edit playlists on the server (with the proper authentication level, of course).

I've come up with a pretty cool setup for my notebook, though. I use Win2k's offline folders capability to basically make my local library the same as the one on my server. I've got some ideas for features that would make this work even more seamless, but I'll save that for a future rant in MJ9 Beta.
* There's a party in my head--and I hope it never stops.  -D. Byrne

patdevlin

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Multiuser media libraries?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2002, 04:06:50 pm »

you can do what your asking for today in version 8.0.

Th databases and playlists are stored in the local machine in the following dirrectory:

C:\program files\j river\media jukebox\data

If you loded all of your files on a comuter on your network you cn have each of the other machines on the network imprt those files using the menus:

TOOLS - IMPORT MEDIA

individuals on each machine can create there own playlist.  If you have multiple users on the same machine though they have to share playlist and data bases.

ncriss1234

• Recent member
  • Fight for your digital rights--www.eff .org
Re: Multiuser media libraries?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2002, 05:11:59 pm »

I think you're missing my point here. Or maybe I'm missing yours.  :)  I already have all my music on the network and I've imported the music into my local library.

The thing is, I don't want *SEPARATE* playlists, I want everyone to use/edit/create the same set of playlists. Also, when someone adds a file to that network folder and adds it to the library, everyone should immediately see it, without having to import/search for new media.

In other words, imagine 2+ people on a network, all sharing a common library in realtime read/write mode. Total synchronization. That's what true multi-user mode is.

A real-world example of this is QuickBooks. Your whole company's accounting department can work on the books at the same time by opening the same QBW file over the network. Because of the way the application is designed, everyone see's each others changes.

PS. to all - Is this such a foriegn concept? Seems like no media software is really equipped to do this easily. Yet, I would imagine plenty of small groups (family, workmates) would like to pool their music in one central repository. Likewise, I'd think it'd be just as important to people to share playlists. Like mix tapes, it can take hard work to come up with a great compilation. After investing all that work, wouldn't you want to share the results?
* There's a party in my head--and I hope it never stops.  -D. Byrne
Pages: [1]   Go Up