INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC11- two .cue file issues  (Read 1378 times)

syserror

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
MC11- two .cue file issues
« on: December 18, 2004, 03:02:42 pm »

XP SP2, MC11 .148

First, let me say I was pleasantly surprised that MC11 supported a .cue at all.  I was able to open a .cue for my entire album .ape or .flac and it properly listed and let me play the individual tracks (I like the semicolon filename notation to specify tracks in the album).  There were a couple small but annoying issues I encountered with them, though:

1) MC should not give error dialog if track metadata changed.

If I've imported the tracks and change any metadata, MC11 unsuccessfully attempts to tag them, bringing up the standard error dialog "Media Center encountered errors while tagging and moving files. Check that the files exist and are not in use by other programs."  I understand if MC does not know how to edit the .cue file; 'tagging' metadata to a shared, text .cue file would be quite different from the typical ID3 or APE tagging in individual files.  However, I think that MC should realize that it cannot tag the metadata for a track from a .cue file and simply not bring up the error dialog.

2) Conversion from a track gotten from a .cue file doesn't import converted tracks (except first in album) and creates incorrect converted file filenames and metadata.

If I convert a track which is in an album archive I imported from a .cue file, the music itself is correct - it creates a correct length converted file for the track chosen.  The importation of the new track, filename, and metadata are incorrect, with behavior that appears to vary by track # selected from the archive.

- if converting the first track, the converted file is:
a) named the name of the album archive file with an extension.  eg. for album 'foobar's greatest hits.ape' with track 1 named 'Alice' converting to .mp3, the converted file will be 'foobar's greatest hits.ape.mp3', not 'Alice.mp3'.
b) metadata is created for the .mp3 file, but is actually for the second track.  eg. for Foobar's Greatest Hits, track 1 named Alice, track 2 named Bob, converting track 1 results in a .mp3 file for the music from Alice, but has metadata saying it is Bob and track 2.  checking the file with a hex editor shows this metadata is tagged into the ID3 tags as well as being in the media library
c) the converted track is automatically imported into the media library after import

- if converting a track other than the first, the converted file is:
a) named the same as above - the album archive file with an extension (a (1), (2), etc. is inserted before the final extension to avoid filename conflicts)
b) no metadata is created for the .mp3 file.  checking the file shows no ID3 tags.
c) the converted track is not automatically imported into the media library after import, and must be manually imported.

Thanks.  If you need any more information or have experiments to try please let me know.

Aaron

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re: MC11- two .cue file issues
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 12:48:25 am »

I understand if MC does not know how to edit the .cue file; 'tagging' metadata to a shared, text .cue file would be quite different from the typical ID3 or APE tagging in individual files.  However, I think that MC should realize that it cannot tag the metadata for a track from a .cue file and simply not bring up the error dialog.

MC can't edit CUE files for the moment. But i don't see why not. MC should be able to save any relevant changes back to the cuefile. FB2k does this flawlessly.

However if you change tags of files outside MC, then there will be a discrepancy. SO i guess the workaround is to reimport the files that have been changed (outside MC) since they were last imported.

I usually do any tag changes within MC as it does the job to my satisfaction.
Pages: [1]   Go Up