INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: XP Fast User Switching - pause/stop music on switch  (Read 639 times)

Streaker

• Recent member

Now that Library Server updates play stats (thanks, guys!!), I've been more compelled to access my main MC instance (connected to the TV) from the main family PC using Library Server (I love having each listen count! :) ).

That works as expected.  However, the family PC (which accesses the remote library) uses XP Fast User Switching so that each user (3 total) can each have their own environments.  Ideally, our users could each be running our own instance of MC, and hopefully since we are each connecting to the remote server we woudn't have any multi-user contention problems that might normally occur against a local library.

The issue I run into is that when the switch occurs, the music from one use keeps going. Ideally, when the switch occurs, MC would stop/pause/"do the right thing" on switch.  Apparently, XP provides a hook to catch this, according to an article I found.  As a teaser, here is the MSDN article talking about registering for user switch notifications:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/winxpfus.asp

Seem like something worth pursuing?  Does anybody else think this would be something worth having in MC?

One might ask, why not just manually pause the music before switching users?  Our system is set so that when your screen saver is running and you, say,  move the mouse, it comes back to the welcome screen, where anyone can "switch in", rather than having the screen go back to the current user's session after coming out of the screensaver.

Edited: Thinking about this a bit more, a better solution might be for me to find a general application that would sense the user switch and be able to run arbitrary commands (such as pausing MC).  This sounds like something that Girder might already have - googling... - apparently it already does!  I'll try the girder route and see how that goes.

Pages: [1]   Go Up