INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging problems & oddities  (Read 1711 times)

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Tagging problems & oddities
« on: December 05, 2004, 09:42:30 am »

Splitting out a question from my adventures in AAC conversion...

Last night, I continued messing around converting my APL files to AAC. I got a conversion process working in Foobar2000. When I converted a track, it imported flawlessly into iTunes--complete with basic tag information. It imported into MC as well, but without any tags.

I then ran fb2k's "MP4 Utilities->Opmtimize mp4 layout" which supposedly consolidates the tags & makes the header all pretty. The tracks still imported correctly into iTunes, but now they imported correctly into MC--except for the 'Genre' tag.

Looking at the tags in fb2k (File info [special]) shows that all of my custom MC tags are carried over into the converted file, but none of those tags show up in either iTunes or in MC.

Any ideas as to why 'optimize mp4 layout' is needed? Why does the genre tag not carry over? Worst of all, why are MC tags that are exactly the same between the 2 files not import correctly when bringing in the new AAC files? What's the possibility of sorting this stuff out? I have examples if anyone is interested.

Best,
Brad

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
Re: Tagging problems & oddities
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 11:27:56 pm »

Bump.

FWIW, looking at the converted files (the m4a files) in foobar and in the external tagging program "The Godfather" shows the same tags are present both before and after "Optimizing mp4 layout".

Also, both fb2k and TGF show many MediaCenter tags still present in the converted files. After bringing the converted files into MC, these tags do not show up in the library or as readable tags.

What's going on with AAC/MP4 tags & MC?

Best,
Brad

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 10:32:18 am »

Bump.

And in continuing to look at these issues...certain tags inconsistenly carry over after importing the AAC files. Genres and Image Tags are 2 examples. Some files have the info after importing, others don't.

brad

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 10:15:14 pm »

Bump.

Anyone out there?

brad

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 09:42:46 pm »

<bump>

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 09:56:17 pm »

Looking at the tags in fb2k (File info [special]) shows that all of my custom MC tags are carried over into the converted file, but none of those tags show up in either iTunes or in MC.

Is it possible to convert APL to AAC with MC ?

I dont know..maybe its not and you used FB2K to do this instead.

If so..is it possible that FB2K did not put the tags  in the right place. I'm not very familiar with MP4 files. Are the tagging specs for this format finalised yet.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2004, 12:01:01 am »

Is it possible to convert APL to AAC with MC ?

I dont know..maybe its not and you used FB2K to do this instead.

Yep. MC cannot easily convert from format "x" to AAC. You can try various command-line encoders, but MC will not transfer any tags at all from the original file to the new AAC file. Foobar at least will transfer the appropriate tag information when converting from format "x" to AAC. iTunes recognizes the resulting AAC tags as well as several 3rd party tag editors. MC has been the problem child here after importing the newly converted AAC files. Some tags are read, others are not, and what makes it worse is that the behavior is inconsistent which makes it difficult to even describe the problem, much less solve it.

I guess I'm primarily wondering how MC deals with AAC files. I know it uses QuickTime for decoding/playback--but what about the meta-informations?

Brad

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2004, 11:59:49 pm »

MC has been the problem child here after importing the newly converted AAC files. Some tags are read, others are not, and what makes it worse is that the behavior is inconsistent which makes it difficult to even describe the problem, much less solve it.

It appears that there is a tagging bug when converting from x format to AAC. So it copies some tags, some times but not all.

I would keep politely reminding JRiver till they fix it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up