INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Worthwhile converting APE2APE?  (Read 1211 times)

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
Worthwhile converting APE2APE?
« on: January 04, 2005, 09:10:42 am »

Matt recently wrote that given the lower CPU load and the almost negligible difference in compression, he would recommend to encode APE files in "normal" (at least that's what I understood you saying, Matt ;)). I am running my audio jukebox on a relatively slow EPIA system and was wondering if it was worthwhile to re-encode the files from "high" to "normal". Have any issues doing that been encountered?

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
Re: Worthwhile converting APE2APE?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 01:09:13 pm »

I haven't noticed a huge difference in size using 'Normal'.
In fact, I recompressed some 3.97 High to 3.99 Normal and on average, the files gain around 5-10 Mb.

There is a different thread floating around about a possible problem in recompressing from one level to another. Personally I have not seen the problem.

I never noticed a big CPU hit to begin with while playing APEs, so for me that alone would not have been worth the effort.

Is it worth it for you? Don't know. I just like to stay current and did a few at a time until all my old version APEs were in 3.99 Normal.

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 02:25:34 pm »

The thing is that I needed to verify all my APEs (~23k) and that takes about a week on my machine running non stop. So after some cleaning up of filenames, I thought what the heck, I might as well bring them all up to 3.99 and convert them from "high" to "normal" in order to further reduce system resources (scarce asset on my EPIA board ;)).

As I understood it, the thread with the reported problems had something to do with an external tagging utility being used which wasn't 100% compatible and screwed things up. I have only used MC and MA with APEs, so there is no risk of contamination there.

The only APE problems that I had were related to files which had a few seconds of complete silence in it. These files showed as corrupted in MA verify and I believe they are the result of some negligent homebrewing on my part where I mistakenly used a 40 instead of an 80 cable on two IDE drives. :P Althought the system should have picked that up, about 1% of the files ended up being corrupted. The good side of it is that I keep two sets of external backups so restoring was easy. ;D

I also noticed that during the APE2APE conversion process all the tags from MC are completely maintained! I do hope that there are no other side effects of the conversion process that I may have overlooked. If there is anything I should watch out for, please let me know. Thanks!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 03:21:13 pm »

Just update your backups first.

I don't think MC will make any kind of hidden corruption to your files if you are afraid that you will later discover something unexpected.

However, you could first make a few test files and find out if there is any practical difference in the CPU usage.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 04:17:12 pm »

Just update your backups first.

Well, no. That's exactly the trick. I did that once before and what happened was (pre MC and MA days) that I backed up a corrupted file system. So I ended up with a corrupted back-up of a corrupted system. Great! >:(

I now have two sets of backup which I update about every 3-6 months, so time enough to find out if my orginal files are playing correctly or not. There are so many things that can go wrong  (and I have seen a good share of it) that it makes a lot of sense to carefully think through your back-up strategy.

I have in excess of 23k files and safeguarding them is much for more important for me than having to re-rip the last 50 albums if that should ever happen.

Been there, done it! ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up