INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rename files  (Read 765 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
rename files
« on: October 16, 2004, 05:17:13 pm »

Has media center suddenly got too clever for itself or have i just got even stupider?

I'm trying to replace some files with higher bitrate versions and then update those new files with the old tags. But MC is naming the files with a (1) so i cant replace tags of the files with the old ones.

I move the old files out of the folder. move the new ones in but have to rename them to make them the same as the old ones. however, even though there are no files in that folder with the names I am trying to give the files, media center renames them with a (1) because they match the name of the files (that are disconnected) in the library view. this means i can never enforce the diconnected tags over the new files. If i rename the old disconnected tags to the new (1) files, the old disconnected tags just get renamed with a (2). :'(

What am i doing wrong?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re:rename files
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 04:43:10 am »

Try renaming them before you move them, then, move them into the new directory behind MC's back, as it were, then open MC, select the files and do an 'update library from tags' on them.

I usually rename the old files temporally to something very simple, e.g. by using track numbers (01.mp3, 02.mp3, etc). Then I rip the new files and give them the same names. I don't tag them and I don't have them in the library. It is easy to move them over the old files with Windows Explorer. Then I do "update tags from the library" (gives the new files the old tags) and then "update library from the tags" (updates the bitrate in the library). The last operation is to rename them from the properties (restores the original filenames).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
Re: rename files
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 09:53:35 am »

Both of those suggestions sound fine, and that is how i have had to get around things, but wouldnt it be cool to not have to go behind media center or trick it. I guess what i am reporting is not a bug, but a feature request. to be able to move an entire files tag info over to another file.  I have had multiple experiences of losing a file from the library, or it getting disconnected, or having to reimport a file, or sometimes re-rip it. Sometimes the tag info was only ever stored in the library.

It would be fantastic if we could tell media center which files library information corresponds to which real world file somehow, in batches too. Eg: tell MC to "send all info of fille [a] to file , using [track numer] to decide which file is [a] and which one is " Man, its hard enough to explain, maybe harder to actually put into practise, but would be great for re-ripping etc. when you dont want to lose your no. of plays and last played info.

Just a suggestion anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up