INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Query: Any Way to Rename a File's Extension?  (Read 1273 times)

Omni

• Citizen of the Universe
Query: Any Way to Rename a File's Extension?
« on: January 07, 2005, 12:36:07 am »

As I remarked in the release thread, I just imported everything on one of my hard drives.

Sidenote:  At ~72,000 items, MC is now extremely sluggish and crashes a lot!  :o  I've crashed five times now in just the last ten minutes!  :o  I just note this in case any developer is looking because I find this very odd.  For me, MC has always been rock solid stable.  I haven't had a crash since like version 9.0.  8)

Anyway, it seems that MC uses the literal file extension to define (and catergorize) the "File Type".  There's nothing wrong with that, per se, but now I have both jpg and jpeg and mpg and mpeg types, i.e., four types when really only two are needed.

I like things neat.  I have an offline solution, so I need no suggestions in that regard, but I was just wondering if I could somehow rename all the jpeg's to jpg and all the mpeg's to mpg inside MC somehow.

Using rename from properties doesn't work because, for instance, using [Name].jpg just results in {the name}.jpg.jpeg.  (*wondering* Maybe if I put it in quotes... I didn't try that.)

Any ideas?

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
Re: Query: Any Way to Rename a File's Extension?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 05:37:02 am »

How about "Find and Replace" . Select all files and then type ".jpeg" in the find and ".jpg" in the replace.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 07:04:54 am »

Sidenote:  At ~72,000 items, MC is now extremely sluggish and crashes a lot!

that may depend on what version you have.

I think the latest version of MC11 is stable, and you should find it a bit faster than MC10

I still think there is Tagging Issues, along with inline editing issues however.

I think park's solution should work, unless it is cover art image, and find and replace does not work on that field (as i remember it)
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 07:22:49 am »

I'd try one or two files as a test. But I think you'll have to use your external solution.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 07:52:50 am »

I'd try one or two files as a test. But I think you'll have to use your external solution.

it should work.

but i know the cover art image does not show up in the list, but i did make a plug-in that will do a find and replace on the image path.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 08:06:58 am »

How about "Find and Replace" . Select all files and then type ".jpeg" in the find and ".jpg" in the replace.

I have re-ripped many albums in APE format.

The albums were previously in MP3 format. I have used F&R for changing the extensions from .mp3 to .ape. It has always worked well.

After I have renamed the old MP3s I just replace them with the similarly named new APEs behind MC's back and update the file tags.

In this case it should work even better since the file formats are not going to change.

Cover art is an exception as King said.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Omni

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 11:58:06 am »

Oh, yeah, I forgot about simple old Find and Replace and MC's cool, hidden feature of physically renaming things based on that.   :)  I'll give that a shot tonight when I'm off work.

About my version, yes, I'm already using MC 11, v.11.0.164 to be exact.

I dunno... the vast majority of the files are images, so MC has about 50K - 60K thumbnails to sift through every time I touch the tree/view.  In all honesty, I am rather impressed MC is as fast as it is even at its sluggish pace.  :)  Unfortunately, though, the now frequent crashes makes MC unusable to manage my images and videos, so i guess I'll be going back to ADCSee for managing those. :(

Omni

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 05:36:49 pm »

Sidenote:  At ~72,000 items, MC is now extremely sluggish and crashes a lot!  :o  I've crashed five times now in just the last ten minutes!  :o  I just note this in case any developer is looking because I find this very odd.  For me, MC has always been rock solid stable.  I haven't had a crash since like version 9.0.  8)

Update:  After updating from v.11.0.164 to v.11.0.168, I haven't had a crash.  8)  *thumbs up*

Other possible reason for stability:  I also moved my library (and thumbnails) to my RAID drive, so maybe the faster access time and throughput is helping things. <shrug>  (And yes, I can state without doubt that nothing was wrong with my original drive..)
Pages: [1]   Go Up