INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 11.0.168 Beta Available  (Read 7402 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 11.0.168 Beta Available
« on: January 07, 2005, 10:38:08 am »

We're still working on Media Center 11.  We appreciate your feedback on it, but MC11 may not work as expected and we can't yet fully support it.  Some plugins still do not work.

We recommend that you use MC10 below, but if you want to use MC 11 while we're building it, PRICES are here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=23311

If you want a more trouble-free experience, please download Media Center 10 here:
http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/download.html

Media Center 11 is available here:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter110168.exe

Recent Changes

11.0.168 (1/7/05)

1. Fixed: Showing Options could cause MC to crash.
2. Fixed: Showing multiple Playing Now views would not gracefully handle the fact that the display can only be shown by one view.
3. Fixed: In-place editing with single selections would not add the current value to the list, causing some unexpected behavior.

11.0.167 (1/6/05)

1. Fixed: In some cases, dropping / pasting files to a playlist list could reverse their order.
2. Fixed: Some TV dialog windows do not play nice with skinning.
3. NEW: Added support for Tree > Background skin item for having custom tree backgrounds.
4. Fixed (again): Thumbnails from internal for videos or internal cover art could be blank or mismatched in some cases. (use Options > Tree & View > Erase All Thumbnails... to correct)

11.0.166 (1/5/05)

1. Fixed: Maximizing a window could show an in-between state for a split second.
2. Fixed: Theater View was disabled.
3. Fixed: Playback of image, audio, and video together at once was not working as expected.
4. Fixed: An attempt to close MC during a transfer to a Portable Device will prompt a warning to wait until the current file completes its transfer.

11.0.165 (1/5/05)

1. Fixed: Help > About... was not functioning. (introduced in 164)
2. Fixed: Mini-View "Inactive Transparent" option could take multiple clicks to enable / disable.
3. Changed: MP3 Encoder VBR no longer listed in MC 11 when MC 10 is installed.
4. Fixed: Encoder 'Quality' selection list changes were not always being saved properly.
5. Changed: Added a few tweaks to reduce database I/O in a few areas.

11.0.164 (1/4/05)

1. Fixed: MC would crash when accessing TV features if the TV control could not be created. (instead of showing an error)
2. Fixed: Mini View "Always on Top" option was not working properly.
3. NEW: Added extra warning dialog to delete / recycle options when erasing files. (has "Do not ask again" option)
4. NEW: Added "Eject" functionality to CD / DVD drive right-click menu.
5. Fixed: Sizing columns to 0-width would display a warning, but not snap the column back to a valid size.
6. Changed: Enabled / disabled interface plugins are stored per-user instead of per-install.
7. Fixed: During synchronization to portable devices, incorrect files were being added from playlists if they were updated between syncs.
8. Fixed: When starting playback, MC could flash to and from a wait cursor several times.
9. Fixed: 'Reset detected devices' for Portables will fully clean the registry and reset it for new device detection.
10. Changed: Server plug-ins unloaded when not in use. Note - Server plug-in options must be reset.
11. Changed: TV channel scanning interface is improved.
12. NEW: All split views start at the same location as the main view.  When spawning a new view while running, they clone the first view.
13. Fixed: Thumbnails from internal for videos or internal cover art could be blank or mismatched in some cases. (use Options > Tree & View > Erase All Thumbnails... to correct)

MC 11 Improvements

• CUE file playback support with sample-accurate MP3 seeking
  • Many Theater View enhancements
  • Animated Direct3D file browsing
  • Split views so you can look at two (or more) views at the same time (ex. look at Media Library and Playing Now together)
  • Vastly improved database engine capable of handling 100,000's of files and large amounts of metadata (lyrics, bios, etc.)
  • Several memory and speed enhancements -- like database and skin unloading when minimizing MC
  • Much of MC's interface can be translated to other languages
  • Integrated database import and update with smart broken linking repairing, and other nice features
  • MC can run with guest permissions on Windows 2000 / Windows XP
  • New view customization system with more flexibility for thumbnail size, text, etc.
  • Options dialogs reworked -- several small options added
  • Added multi-zone synchronization
  • Added Album Gain support
  • Document support with full text searching / indexing
  • Pane auto-sizing
  • Tile view that allows fully customizable Track Info style tiles to be used in file lists
  • New database caching layer that makes a huge speed difference in many areas of MC
  • File tagging happens in a background thread so MC can continue to be used while it's saving tags
  • Basic image editing
  • Enhanced album grouping for pictures so pictures taken together get grouped without any user intervention
  • Preview mode to only play the intro of songs
  • Video CD playback support
  • Audio resampling uses Shibatch's high-quality SSRC filters
  • Support for ATI HDTV card

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mhwlng

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Media Center 11.0.168 Alpha Available
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 03:08:03 am »

this problem is still here:

the last few versions
'search for media servers' only works once...

If I stop/start the client MC once, it won't detect the media server anymore.
I have to go to the MC server pc and stop/start the plugin, then it works again once.

Marcel

lpr

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 11:05:09 am »

I'm unable to install/use the MusicLobby plugin this version (and maybe previous ones). When I load MC after the mc9setup_19.exe installation, MC freezes... I have to force quit, manually remove MusicLobbyServer.ocx and re-load MC. I've stop using MusicLobby for a while, that's why I never realised that maybe it was not working as a fresh install on those new beta...

Am I the only one?

Thanks.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 11:13:09 am »

Using this build

The missing name thing has happened to me many times over the last 3 months or so too.

Just "erased all thumbnails" and then clicked on my video view scheme. Mc disappeared as it started to build the thumbnails. Second time I tried too.

Copy and paste a viewscheme and "working" window pos up and never disapears. You have to force close MC to get rid of it.

Using build.167
Was looking at a list of files in my "task-- incomplete albums" playlist and saw that one album was seen as incomplete because the file was named differently to the others in the folder. Not sure exactly, but I think it had a couple of" __ " in it. Thats all i could see that was different. Anyway, so I tried to "rename files from properties" and media center immediately disappeared.  When I loaded it back up, those files were disconnected (their names were new as based on the "rename files from properties" but the files had not been renamed), so I had to reimport the files and delete the disconnected library entries.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 11:18:52 am »

Oh, and MC doesnt seem to be honouring the "seq" field for its sorting. I have a view scheme called recently acquired which takes all the files from "Recently imported" and "recently ripped" playlists only, and i want it to be sorted by the most recently acquired albums first, so I set the sorting to "seq" (no other sorting fields) but thats not the way the files are being ordered. Actually I have no idea how MC is sorting them, I cant see a pattern at all.

Wiggim

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 02:06:14 pm »

When ripping a CD there will be some tmp files generatet within the working directory. These files won't be deleted after ripping has finished.

This issue has also happened with earlier versions (eg. 11.0162).

Fixer

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 03:32:14 pm »

Media Center still crashes almost 100% of the time whenever I delete anything from the library.

tofer

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 04:04:40 pm »

Currently running version v 162 (actually upgrading to 168 at the moment).  I have lost a large number of files on two separate occasions over the last couple of weeks.   The files remain in the library, but show up as red X's and are not present on the network server.  Oddly, the album folders (I organize my files by media type\genre\album) are still there, but many are now empty.  Given that its highly unlikely that anyone went into each individual folder and deleted the files, I suspect they were deleted in error by media center (I'm basing my conclusion that it is some kind of bug by the fact that the files remain in media center's library, so the deletion couldn't have happened "intentionally" through media center.   

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues ?  I have lost about 2000 (of about 15000 total) files....

Omni

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2005, 04:31:04 pm »

1- Cannot Minimize, Maximize, or Restore using the buttons on the top right of interface, but it will work from Right-Click on MC's Taskbar thingie.

2- In the Playing Now window, the pop-up menu is no longer available to choose Viz's and File Info Templates, etc, but instead you must resort to scrolling completely through using the arrows.

*Note: Both above exist regardless of skin in use.

Maybe you are having a problem with your mouse driver or something. <shrug>  All the above works fine for me.  :( <--- for you

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2005, 05:09:02 pm »

Bug:

under Handheld/Sync Handheld/Handheld Options/Device Configuration
You can choose playlists to auto-sync, but the playlist-list does not scroll.
Should be easy to fix.

Omni

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2005, 05:47:09 pm »

OK, perhaps . . . . although it works on ALL other windows   ?

Oh, I don't really think it's your mouse per se, but it must be something special about your particular setup. <shrug>

Dragyn

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2005, 07:51:33 pm »

MC really slow when displaying a list of files not found on a network (computer on network doesn't exist).

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2005, 09:32:44 am »

F2 list editing fixed, thanks.

1. Still bug in CD Filename "add list prefix to filename" option.
2. What, no toolbar option for Library Browser?
3. With this still in alpha or beta (?), should the default option for install be to remove MC10? I think not, it gets me every other time too, I always have to cancel install and go back and do it again, so as not to uninstall 10 yet.

UnknownID

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2005, 10:11:44 am »

11.0.164 (1/4/05)
2. Fixed: Mini View "Always on Top" option was not working properly.

I have been out of town for a while. Thanks so much for the fix! ;D ;D ;D

Lui2

• Recent member
  • Typical MC User
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2005, 10:42:52 am »

2- In the Playing Now window, the pop-up menu is no longer available to choose Viz's and File Info Templates, etc, but instead you must resort to scrolling completely through using the arrows.

11.0.156 (12/20/04)
7. NEW: Redesigned playback display system that allows track info, cover art, etc. to be displayed during playback of all file types.

Since this change of .156, when I remember right, the menu for choosing the vizs and Track infos was changed. You have to call the right mouse button menu from the buttom line of the visualiszation.
This is working fine here with .168.

mhwlng

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Media Center 11.0.168 Beta Available
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2005, 12:14:02 pm »

my jrmc is behaving strangely when there is a '&' in the artist name...

the albums under 'Albert King' are ok

under 'Albert King & Stevie Ray Vaughan' I should only see one album : 'In Session' but I see all the other albums with artist 'Albert King' as well.

If I select one of the 'wrong' albums in the tree, the right of the screen stays empty...

Marcel

Omni

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2005, 03:36:41 pm »

11.0.156 (12/20/04)
7. NEW: Redesigned playback display system that allows track info, cover art, etc. to be displayed during playback of all file types.

Ah!  Exactly what I was looking for.

In regards to this change, first thanks, JRiver!!  It's great to finally be able to manage and manipulate my images while still listening to my music, especially now with the new split screen view functionality.

There's still one little annoyance, though, and I'll deem it a bug.

I'm not into visualizations, so I always have it set to just plain old Cover Art.  Well, when switching to image mode ("mode" probably doesn't matter) and viewing my images (one at a time), the moment one of my AAC (.mp4) tracks gets queued in, my "Image" display switches to that "MC cannot display visualizations for non-internally supported file types..." error page.  I then have to manually cycle back to the "Image" display.

First, this is very annoying. ;)  Second, given the above change in v.11.0.156, I shouldn't have gotten that error message anyway since i was previously set to "Cover Art" anyway, right?

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2005, 04:01:30 pm »

Hmmm, nevermind.  Rebooting works wonders,

Upgrading from 162 to 168 and starting the app causes an immediate crash:

AppName: media center.exe    AppVer: 11.0.168.0    ModName: winmm.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180    Offset: 0000d016

What's WORSE here is that downgrading back to 162 now crashes as well!  The 162 install was supporting 3 zones, 1 on-board and two via creative usb sound cards.

What gives here?  What can I do to at least get it to let me use 162 again?  HEEEEEELP!

Omni

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2005, 04:02:21 pm »

11.0.156 (12/20/04)

As a follow-up, was the above change removed in a subsequent build?

I still get that error page when playing any of my AAC tracks:

(click on thumbnail to enlarge)

Roman Croatia

• Recent member
  • same great music at my bar...
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2005, 04:59:35 pm »

Currently running version v 162 (actually upgrading to 168 at the moment). 

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues ?  I have lost about 2000 (of about 15000 total) files....

me in some very early version  :'(. since that time am not using any filename changing options. Hope you'll get it back. I lost some 10000 out of 37000. good was that I had backup for some 7000. Now my dc++ is working overtime  :)
Roman Slovenc
www.timun.hr

pascalm

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2005, 09:26:39 pm »

I did lose a few thousands files once but not since MC11

ardi11a21

• Hellboy
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2005, 02:58:22 am »

What is the likelihood of the final release of Media Center 11 becoming available by the end of this month, or the next?  I want to upgrade to version 10, but I'm reluctant to do so now only to have to purchase another license for the latest version shortly afterward.  Thanks!

mhwlng

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2005, 03:47:15 am »

I tried to use the disc# field like so

album xxxx disc# 1  track 1
album xxxx disc# 1  track 2
album xxxx disc# 1  track 3
album xxxx disc# 2  track 1
album xxxx disc# 2  track 2
album xxxx disc# 2  track 3

the complete album flag is 0 even though both discs are complete...

is this a bug or do I have to renumber all tracks ?

Marcel

SteveG

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2005, 08:36:04 am »

Runemail,

Are you talking about choosing playlists in the Action Window? If so, and you do not see a scroll bar, what skin are you using?

Thanks,

Steve

mkutsen

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2005, 12:11:07 pm »

1. Analyzing large files, > 100 MB (mixes), hangs around 40%, sometimes the whole system freezes.
2. When MC finishes analyzing large number of files, the analyzing window never displays " completed" and the exit button stays greyed out, even though the file analysis is compleeted.
3. Importing seems to take longer than it should and the number of files imported into the library is reported incorrectly.  Also, while MC is searching for new files, parts of the previous dialogue window GUI remain on the screen.

Media Center Registered 11.0.168 -- F:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 3403 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 712 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2005, 12:12:55 pm »

Crashes with this error when the trial period has expired (which I'm not entirely sure it has):

AppName: media center.exe    AppVer: 11.0.168.0    ModName: media center.exe
ModVer: 11.0.168.0    Offset: 001f3de8

The expiration dialog appears and if you click "BUY NOW" or "Tell me More" it crashes with the above error.  The title on the error dialog box is "Media Core".  I'm not sure that it immediately crashes or if there's a some sort of short delay

Regardless, although I do need to buy a new license for this it does seem like a bug that might put off others from buying the product.  No sense having a bug because of licensing wreck the sale of an otherwise great product.   It also doesn't do much to encourage beta testers to have the product time out on them.

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
MC11.168 and Zone manager with more than one USB soundcard.
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2005, 12:15:10 pm »

There seems to be a problem with MC11 remembering how zones are assigned to USB soundcards.  I've got a motherboard ESS chipset and two Creative USB soundcards.  The USB soundcards show up in the zone manager with the same name: "USB Audio".  In the windows Sound control panel, however, they show up as "USB Audio" and "USB Audio (2)".  It would appear the control panel is recognizing there's more than one with the same name and renaming the second one accordingly.  MC11.162, I think, seemed to apply the (2) suffix on the second one but MC11.168 does not seem to do the same thing.

What's the preferred output mode, DirectSound, Wave Out or ASIO?  Would chosing one over another make any differences in remembering the right output device?  How about performance and sound quality?  In that order as the bulk of the media being played back is 192k MP3 so I'm not gung-ho about audiophile-level qualities but more about the CPU (1gHz) not being overwhelmed.

Of course I can't test any further because now the trial license has expired.  That and the forum won't  let me post another reply here (30 second timeout).  Yeesh, just how hard do you want to make it for the FREE BETA TESTING participants to help you out?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2005, 03:14:32 pm »

The forward and back buttons are missing from the slideshows.

Full size image
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Tiberius

• Junior Woodchuck
  • A big dog is twice as big as a dog 1/2 it's size..
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2005, 05:51:08 pm »

With  Image playback or the Gforce plugin active the control bars unhide on any mouse activity even if MC does not have focus. This seems to occur when the window is inside MC, in windowed mode or in full screen mode on one of my 2 monitors. This does not seem to occur with Cover Art,  3D visualzations, original MC viz or track info displayed.
Failure is not an option...however it is often included at no extra charge...

bebop

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2005, 10:38:02 am »

not a biggie, but the "copy Listening to" doesn't work. and it takes alot of clicking to get it to post system info from the clipboard. 

Michel Lefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2005, 11:57:19 am »

I've just tried to Export my whole library (29,000 tunes almost) to XML.

Everytime I try, I get an "Out of memory" error.

MC is the only thing running and I've cut back on all non-essential services.

My machine has 1 GB of RAM.

Michel.

-----------------------------------------------------

Media Center Registered 11.0.168 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1991 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 681 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Ripping /   Drive I: MATSHITADVD-RAM LF-D521   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive I: MATSHITA DVD-RAM LF-D521    Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:12  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Michel Lefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2005, 02:38:24 pm »

not a biggie, but the "copy Listening to" doesn't work. and it takes alot of clicking to get it to post system info from the clipboard. 

Bebop,

It's worlking for me....

Michel.

Listening to: 'When Can I See You' from 'A Collection of His Greatest Hits' by 'Babyface' on Media Center 11

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
Re: MC11.168 and Zone manager with more than one USB soundcard.
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2005, 05:19:23 pm »

I have seen the settings showing the "Primary Sound Driver" as the set device, when this zone had been set for my EWX-24/96.
I have also had MC play through the Zone 2 soundcard when starting Play in Zone 1, and had to manually reset the zone to the proper soundcardcard.

I never use the setting for the Primary device.  The on-board audio happens to be setup as a zone labelled 'Console' as that's the speakers directly with the controlling computer.  Windows has also be manually selected as using this device for it's Sound control panel choices.  Most of the time the played sound goes to two other zones (and eventually to four total).  I've not yet seen MC11 lose it's selection of them when using Wave Out.  Using DirectSound seemed to work in MC11.162 but not in MC11.168.

Is it just me or would it REALLY HELP others volunteering for beta testing if there was an actual bug database?  Things like bugzilla, mantis and others make it pretty trivial to set something up.  It'd certainly help in avoiding reporting known bugs as well as confirming that something is being done about ones discovered.

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2005, 09:14:54 pm »

I'm performing an import into a new library of existing ~17000 songs (VBR hi MP3s mostly).

The import is VERY slow.

I also clicked the CANCEL button, which had no effect whatsoever, except that it is now greyed-out. The import is still running as it was before I clicked the CANCEL button. ie. extremely slowly - about 3500 songs have so far taken about 15 minutes.

This is on a work laptop with MP3s sitting on a USB hard drive (USB 1.1) (which probably explains it...)

UPDATE: Importing took just over TWO AND A HALF HOURS!

Even allowing for the fact that it's a USB 1.1 drive, this seems very slow...
Cheers
Rob

The Illest Villain

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2005, 01:08:03 pm »

Hi,

i am as well experiencing the problem with disapearing names. It happens with newly imported files mostly. Its not a big problem because i fill properties from filenames, but its a bit annoying.
Pages: [1]   Go Up