INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping from Tapes and Vinyl  (Read 1845 times)

Jeff W.

• Recent member
Ripping from Tapes and Vinyl
« on: January 09, 2005, 07:58:22 pm »

I have an old library that I want to rip to MC.  My "good" sound card won't show up as a recordng device.
It is a Card D+ Analog.  I do use it however for playback.
What I would really prefer would be to use another program to record the old stuff and then cleanup the noise and segment the tracks BUT... have MC read that cleaned up Wav file and convert or import from that file. 
At this time MC takes the entire wav file as one track...
Most audio programs don't want to save pieces of the wave file as seperate files so to pre-process is difficult.
Any Ideas??  Will Ver 11 fix this?

Jeff Weissert

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
Re: Ripping from Tapes and Vinyl
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 08:36:58 pm »

I think the MC wave editor will let you split files.

You might also find Gramofile useful, it is a free & open source program for noise reduction. It was developed specifically for processing files recorded from vinyl.

http://panic.et.tudelft.nl/~costar/gramofile/

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 08:54:25 pm »

I've used Microsoft Plus Digital Media Edition ($20 or less) to convert some LPs into WMA files.  This is a pretty good utility that has a number of programs, but the Plus Analog Recorder is the program specific to the task.

More info at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/plus/dme/dmehome.asp

One limitation is that the program does not create WAV files.  The highest quality you can produce is 320kbps WMA.  I've taken the WMA files and converted them to WAV and VBR MP3s.  Overall, I am pleased with the quality.  The program is fairly easy to use too.  You can tell the program to separate album tracks automatically as well as remove hiss and clicks.  It doesn't get the track separation right 100% of the time, but there is a way to fix it.  

Not to discourage you, but the process still takes a long time because you are recording in real time.  Your situation could be totally different, but in my case purchasing a number of "Greatest Hits" CDs from BMG was a better way to go.  It costs more, but it saves times and the results are better.  

modelmaker

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 01:01:29 am »

I have been using Magix' AudioCleaningLab (www.magix.com) for about 3 years with excellent results. It has auto track detection(adjustable) , complete editing tools, click/scratch and other noise removers, EQ, compander/expander, directX plugin capable, ripper, recorder,burner & converter. Cddb lookup etc....

Everything is done as .wav and can be burned directly, converted (they use Faulhaber mp3 engine) or export the file(s) and use MC to convert and automatically import into the MC library..

It may be a little pricey, I think 35-40$ for the downloadable version- $50 for the CD-Rom, but for a complete recorder I think it's hard to beat. If you've got a lot of LPs and/or tapes to record, it will pay for itself pretty quick. I've recorded 3000 plus LPs over the last 3 years.

PS: I do not work for Magix ;D
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 06:35:48 am »

If we're plugging other tools, then I'd say to look closely at Audiotools.
Very capable app backed by a very nice author who listens to his customers and makes changes based on their desires/needs.

http://www.unrelatedinventions.com/Audiotools/index.php

Jeff W.

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 08:07:47 am »

I had purchased Magix as a result of a previous thread I read.  My process falls apart between the output of Magix and the import of MC.
I can see how it would work if I burn't CDs of each project then Ripped them but what a mess to add a CD in the middle just for conversion.
When I go into MC it looks like I can only record (import) from a sound card on import (if I want tracks seperately) When I try to import the .wav of the whole album it comes up as one song/album/track in MC...
Am I close and can't see the last part?

Also if IRiver wanted to add specialized modules and charge for them it wouldn't bother me.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 08:33:51 am »

The Magix web site claims that "MAGIX audio cleaning lab 2005" has:

"Track Creation Wizard for dividing recordings into individual tracks"

Did you try it?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Jeff W.

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 10:25:26 am »

Eureka.... Thanks!  I never saw the button (on export) that allows me to save as seperate files...

Thanks a bunch for telling me that it was there. I was looking in all the wrong places!

Now I can place the markers etc... then export as the seperate files...

The previous post of buy in the best of doesn't work as some of this is material that I recorded..

Thanks all!

Jeff

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 09:33:25 pm »

Having come late to this party, all I can do is tell of what I use.
I did a similar search a year or so ago and ended up with Wavepurity.
It's German program and it does wondrous things. All of the versions do pretty much the same thing except that the higher the price, the more automated the process is.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

modelmaker

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2005, 05:07:15 pm »

Magix is also German btw (they do have an office in the US however).

In my older version of AcLab you just use the export feature to turn the 'project files' into regular .wav files and you have the option to export as individual files to a folder or as one file to a folder.

My only real gripe is that you can't upgrade to a newer version (at a discount), you have to buy the program all over again.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up