INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod and replay gain not working with MC11.0.178  (Read 1922 times)

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
iPod and replay gain not working with MC11.0.178
« on: January 19, 2005, 02:24:53 am »

I am trying to sync my collection of WMA Lossless files to my iPod using MC11.0.178(converting to VBR MP3).

I have setup a playlist in MC and put 2 files in it.

File A has replay Gain settign of -14.78
File B has replay Gain Settign of -4.95

Playing both WMA files via MC they sound a similar volume.

So I connect my iPod (freshly initialized with MC)

I right-clicked on my iPod and set  the option under Upload Volume Adjustment for Replay Gain (leaving at 0db)

I selected the Playlist I wanted to Sync and clicked Transfer.

Both files get converted to MP3 and downloaded to the iPod.

Now when I play them on the iPod File B is MUCH quieter than file A.

I then ran MP3Gain to check the files on the iPod and file A has a volume of 97.9, while file B is 88.

Is there a problem with this function at the moment?

To test further I disabled the replay gain optin for the iPod and got exactly the same result. 

Setting the volume adjustment ( with +50%)instead of the replay gain still transfers the files at the same volume as above.

I need to transfer all my files this weekend (5000 of them) and it takes almost 3 days, so I don't want to find I have to do it again if the volumes aren't set correctly after the transfer.

Another though was, could I use MP3Gain to adjust them once on the iPod without affecting my next Sync with MC?

Cheers
Richard

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
Re: iPod and replay gain problems with 11.177
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 11:32:21 pm »

SteveG are you around? 

I need to try to do the sync this weekend and don't want to have to do it twice (as it takes almost 3 days!) if I'm not going to be able to get the volume levels set properly.

Richard

SteveG

Re: iPod and replay gain not working with MC11.0.178
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 01:14:54 pm »

Richard,

This is a very hard one to test and troubleshoot. One way to do this is to email me the two files and I will try to replicate what you are seeing. The other way is to email me your iTunesDB file from your iPod after you have transferred only these two files with the replay gain set and I might be able to figure it out.

Thanks.

steve @ jriver.com

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 01:44:20 pm »

Thanks Steve,

I have tried different files and it doesn't seem to make any difference, replay gain or volume adjustment just don't seem to get applied.

Am I correct in that MP3 Gain should show the 2 MP3 files as the same volume?

I'll email you the DB.

If I do the sync this weekend and the  use MP3 Gain on the iPod, will this cause a problem next time I sync?

Cheers
Richard

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 02:02:15 pm »

Richard,

Am I correct in that MP3 Gain should show the 2 MP3 files as the same volume?

No. iPod has its own setting for volume adjustment which is a part of its database. I convert the replay gain settings to this setting, but do not  reanalyze the files. As a result, the files should be as they are in MC but the setting in the database should change.

If you use MP3 Gain on the iPod this should not cause a problem the next time you sync.

Steve

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 02:16:36 pm »

OK,

So let me get this correct.

When I sync my WMA files to the iPod (converting them to MP3) the resultant MP3 files on the iPod won't all have the same volume when analysed with MP3Gain?

I'm just trying to work out how I can test things from this end as well, and just assumed that the MP3's ending up on the iPod should all have the same volume.

Richard

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 05:11:38 pm »

Richard,

When I sync my WMA files to the iPod (converting them to MP3) the resultant MP3 files on the iPod won't all have the same volume when analysed with MP3Gain?

This should be correct. Perhaps test it to be sure.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up