INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ignoring some characters or 'the' in tag  (Read 1193 times)

DV8

• Junior Woodchuck
  • My Karma ran over my Dogma
Ignoring some characters or 'the' in tag
« on: December 23, 2004, 01:47:45 am »

A nice feature of the Slimserver SlimP3 web interface is that it has an option to ignore (at the users option) certain characters at the front of a tag. For example, you can choose it to ignore the word 'the' or 'los' in front artists name or the characters ", y, or ( in front of a song name so that you keep the character in the actual tag but when it comes time to sort them in alphabetical order they are ignored.

I know about the Clean File Properties tool in MC10 but your only option is to change the actual tag such that 'The Beatles' becomes "Beatles, The'. I don't want to rewrite the tags, just sort 'The Beatles' under B. This also doesn't solve the problem of songs all starting with ( or " or y or some such character from showing up before A in the sort.

Is there any way to do this? If not, can you make it so?

Omni

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Ignoring some characters or 'the' in tag
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 04:29:06 am »

MC 11 will do this.  If you are looking for them to add it to MC 10, don't count on it (assuming it's not already there).  The development lifecycle for MC 10 has been over for quite some time--only bug fixes at this point--no feature enhancements. ;)

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 10:28:23 am »

I think this was introduced in MC10...  Under Options/Tree & View/Sorting, select Ignore Articles (a,an,the)
No ability to ignore custom text though.

DV8

• Junior Woodchuck
  • My Karma ran over my Dogma
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 11:04:46 am »

You're correct Sam, you can ignore articles (a, an, the) in the sort field. That solves one problem but not others.

I would still like to be able to customize this (which articles to ignore) as well as the ability to ignore leading punctuation marks such as ' or " or leading brackets such as ( as well as non- English articles such as 'los' or 'y''.

Any word on whether MC11 will provide this sort of capability?

mirdle

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005, 03:35:19 pm »

DV8 --

I'm also interested in such a feature.  I have a lot of European titles and it would be nice to treat articles such as "la" or "le" the same as "the".  Did you hear any news?
Pages: [1]   Go Up