INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album thumbnails and box sets  (Read 1473 times)

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Album thumbnails and box sets
« on: January 24, 2005, 11:06:06 am »

This is an old request.The way its currently works great if you only have one CD/album.

What if you have more than one CD/album. Album is the title, CDs, (1 or many).

I chose to append (2CD) or (xCD) after the album name for 2 or more CDs.

Reason i did this was because when looking at a list of album thumbnails, i only wanted to see one image regardless of how many CDs came with the album. This works if the Album Artist is the same for all the other CDs, otherwise you get a unique thumbnail/album artist.

The other reason is it gives an accurate count of how many album titles are present.

I would prefer a way to specify to use only the album title in this case or in this case a user defined field called Album title.

Why ? since its the common denomintor in a multiple artist/CD box set. Its called an Album Thmbnail after all, who said anything about the album artist ;)

The library browser does this corectly (I suspect because of the naming convention above), but there isn't a way for me to tell it which paths to include/exclude.

Omni

Re: Album thumbnails and box sets
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 01:11:41 pm »

I recently just discovered the "Disc #" tag field.  I'm sure it was always there, but unbelievably, after all these years, I only just noticed it a couple of weeks ago.  :o :P

Anyway, I'm just speculating here, but maybe if you set that field correctly, MC will take it into account when displaying the Album thumbnails.  <shrug>  Let us know if it does!

Footnote:  I presume that if you start using the "Disc #" field, you will need to use the same name for all the Albums for it to work properly, i.e., remove those "(xCD)" suffixes from your Album names.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 02:57:42 pm »

Thanks for tip about Disc# , it seems it was introduced in MV 11.0.109

4. NEW: Added 'Disc #' field for more elegant handling of multi-disc sets.

This means if  you use the Disc# it will sort the discs out properly, so you dont see track 1 of cd1,cd2....cd x together.

My workaround for this for ages was to use 101, 102, ...201,202..... etc

It does not however address the album thumbnail issue. Multiple album artists give multiple album thumbnails. In short allow the user to specify what field to use.

Simple

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 03:32:09 pm »

Who cares about one or a 'double album' today?
You are not addicted to the limits of your CD's.

Just fill track numbers from list order. You'll get what you want. And forget to impress your friends with one or a 'double album' more or less. It's not worth the hassle with album covers or similar problems. These are yesterdays limits.

TimB

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 04:44:54 pm »

Just fill track numbers from list order. You'll get what you want. And forget to impress your friends with one or a 'double album' more or less. It's not worth the hassle with album covers or similar problems. These are yesterdays limits.
GMTA

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 10:36:39 pm »

Thats exactly my point, i don't want to have more than one album thumbnail/album, regardless of how many album artists are on it. It seems if you have a box set with 3 CDs with 3 different album artists, then you get 3 album thumnails, i would have preferred one only as its the album title that i want. I use the album count in the status bar to get an accurate count of how many album titles i have.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 01:58:56 am »

i found the solution to this

....by adding ~limit=-1,1,[album] at the end of my smartlist.

It displays 1 track/album which viewed as album thumbnails shows me the correct number of albums irrespecitve of how many CDs or different album artists a box set might have.
Pages: [1]   Go Up