INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Regular Expresions...  (Read 1290 times)

KingCandyCorn

• Recent member
  • Good thing your heads are made out of pastry...
Regular Expresions...
« on: January 22, 2005, 10:00:37 pm »

I'm thinking about developing a plug-in to allow more advanced find/replace and tags<=>filename library managment functionality.  Probably to incorporate the use of regular expressions.

In particular, I'm thinking of this in terms of a larger scale problem.  I have a series of files that I automatically get.  I like to have them imported automatically or at scheduled times.  I can use KingSparta's Folder Slueth for this.

The issue arises because I have my own convention for how I like to tag these files.  There is no real way for me to automate that aspect.  These more advanced find/replace and tag/filename functions could help facilitate this.

So, the question is, does anyone else have use for this?  Are there already some plug-ins out there that I could use rather than going through the trouble myself?  Any thoughts on the implementation environment to do this?  In particular, is there a free way to develop plug-ins?

The only way I can think of to do it freely right now is to develop it in Perl.  I know Perl and could probably develop something quickly and with a lot of functionality.  The problem is, it wouldn't really be a "plug-in", more of an external utility that you could use to do things with.  And of course, a user would have to have a perl run-time environment.

I'm curious to get feedback and hear thoughts on this.

You know poor, starving students, the "free" constraint is a bummer.

KingCandyCorn

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
  • Absence of alternatives clears the mind nicely.
Re: Regular Expresions...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 07:27:38 pm »

Hi KCC,
I like the idea of this utility. I import podcasts everyday that I'd like to have re-tagged according to my own rules. I probably wouldn't use it though because it would add one more process step I would have to debug.

Best,
  BG
Pages: [1]   Go Up