INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC on 2 machines, but not playing the same time. Do I have to buy 2 licenses?  (Read 1522 times)

Prognathous

• Recent member

If I want to use MC on my workplace computer and on my home computer (not at the same time), am I ok with one license?

And two more questions:

- What will be the upgrade price when v12 is released?
- How long are older releases maintained (e.g. with security patches), after a new major version is out?

Prog.

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut

Also in the archives, you'll find that a license belongs to a person, not a computer, so you can use the license for your home and work computer.

The upgrade prices are posted here in the forum as well:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=23311.0

For version 12, check your local crystal ball.

j

modelmaker

You only need the one license, but you must use the same email address that you used to purchase MC. If you save your (restore) keycode to a floppy or something, then you can restore from that on any machine you use for a 2-week period, (you get 10 restores a year). The only restriction I know of is that you can't run more than 1 instance of MC on the same machine concurrently.

As far as prices go, only based on passed experience, when v12 starts in it's beta form, it'll probably be similar to the previous betas, about $10-15 and shortly before release around $25-30, with the first-time purchase being around $40.These are just guesstimates.
In any event, MC 11 has just been released, so it will be a long time before we'll see MC 12 Beta.

As far as I know there have never been any "security" fixes, however anything critical to the functioning of any MC version has generally been fixed in a timely fashion. If not critical, it will be addressed in the next version. There will no doubt continue to be some updates to v11 before J River moves on to MC 12.

Media Center is an active ongoing project as you can see if you monitor this forum a bit. It is because of this two-way communication that MC has become the best media product around.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Prognathous

• Recent member

If you save your (restore) keycode to a floppy or something, then you can restore from that on any machine you use for a 2-week period, (you get 10 restores a year).

I'm not sure that I follow... if I have 10 restores a year, what's the 2-week limitation?

Prog.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

Each keyfile is valid two weeks and can be used for registering MC on different PCs. The PCs must have correct time & date settings. After that you must download a new keyfile if needed. Every downloaded keyfile is off from the 10 restores quota. A year after each download one keyfile is added back to the restore quota.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Prognathous

• Recent member

Not sure if I like that licensing scheme. I have a few paid-for software that I can't use today since the vendors went out of business. Now, I wish jriver all the success they can get (their product show they deserve it), but how can I tell they'd still be around when I need a new keyfile? I've been in this situation before, it's no fun :-\

Prog.

modelmaker

We know where they live! ;)

I've been using this software for almost 3 years and I believe if the unthinkable were to happen, they would issue a permanent key or something to the registered users.

It is unlikely that the unmentionable would happen in the forseeable future though, as they are supplying a version of mc to Best Buy and have some other things cooking that we're not privey to. As an aside, one of the guys on the J River team is Matt Ashland, the developer of the lossless format Monkey's Audio (ape).

The temp. Key, while a bit annoying, is pretty good security measure to keep a lid on free copies of MC and helps insure people pay for the product they're using.

The best way to insure that J River sticks around is to buy the software and get your friends and relatives to buy it too.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up