INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thank you for Random  (Read 682 times)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Thank you for Random
« on: February 11, 2005, 07:32:04 am »

Instead of the usual problems you see in forums, I just wanted to give thanks for the Random option in Smartlists. I don't know how it's programmed to be random, but it works wonderfully. I have a smartlist that gives me 4 hours of music with the Random option. Somehow, it usually is put in an order where you get a fast song followed by a slow one and so forth, just like a DJ would mix. Perhaps I'm just lucky and getting a good random mixing or perhaps there's some logic done in the Random option, but thank you anyway!!
Jeff
Jeff

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Thank you for Random
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 10:50:23 am »

There was a lengthy discussion a while back about how tracks from the same artist would appear back to back, and questioning if something was wrong with "Random".

The conclusion was that people were more interested in a diverse mix (avoid repeating the same artist, etc.) than something that was truly random, so the random function was modified to account for that.

Your experience with slow/fast is probably a coincidence, but like you, I am happier with the "less random" version of "random".

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Thank you for Random
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 02:00:41 pm »

I used to think there was something wrong with "Random" as well.

During the first few months of using 9.0.180, I had around 12 - 15k of mp3s in my library and I used to get a lot of back-to-backs of the  same artists, however, ever since I past 25k, (now at about 33k) the back to backs have become more and more infrequent.

I'm still using 9.0.180 and as far as I know the changes to "Random" sort were made later, so my conclusion is that the larger the library is, the more "real" the random results seem to be.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up