INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I search the library for files that are missing on disk?  (Read 2838 times)

Solomon

• Junior Woodchuck
How do I search the library for files that are missing on disk?
« on: February 17, 2005, 04:53:55 pm »

I'm usinrg MC 10.0.173.  I've managed to get my database into a state where a large number of files are on drive E: whereas the database has them being on drive C:.  The files in question show up in the listing with a red "X" in place of the two eighth notes, so I know that MC knows which ones they are, but I can't figure out a way of searching for or filtering on that parameter.

Any ideas on how to do this?

(I want to search for all the files for which the actual disk file is missing, so that I can do a search-and-replace on the filename on only those files to change it from C: to E:.)

Thanks in advance,

Solomon

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How do I search the library for files that are missing on disk?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 05:01:45 pm »

don't think you can

maybe if you try to import MC will fix the link

i forgot that option is not in mc10
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Solomon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 05:14:51 pm »

So right now I'm just visually scanning down about a thousand files looking for the little red X, and selecting them with the mouse.  There's gotta be a better way.

(By the way, before someone scolds me for moving the files outside of MC - I moved them from within MC, but the disk I was moving them from malfunctioned after the database was updated and before the files were moved.  That's why MC thinks the files are on drive C when they're still on drive E.)

There's really no way to do this other than going through my entire database by hand?

Solomon

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 05:20:59 pm »

[=FileExists([Filename])]=0
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Solomon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 05:24:57 pm »

Hmm... that would be nice - where is it documented?

The precise search string you gave me doesn't seem to work...  I can't tell what it does exactly, but it returns 3317 of the 7099 files in my database, most all of which do in fact appear to exist...

In fact, [=foo([bar])]=0 returns the same list of 3317 files, regardless of what "foo" and "bar" are.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 05:31:10 pm »

Are the folder paths similar on both drives?

You can change a part of the path with Find and Replace tool.

For example,

If your files were in C:\My Music\Artist\Album\
and they are now in E:\Music\Artist\Album\

you can change "C:\My Music\" to "E:\Music\" and MC will find the files from the new location.

Tools > Library Tools > Find and Replace... > tick "Filename (path)", Find what: C:\My Music\ , Replace: E:\Music\

If it is not that simple it might be a good reason to upgrade to MC11. It can show the missing disc files. This search shows the missing files in MC11: [=FileExists([Filename])]=0.

EDIT

datdude, it works only in MC11.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Solomon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 05:34:39 pm »

Alex, what you're suggesting is precisely what I'm trying to do.  The folder names are identical, and I just want to replace "C:\" with "E:\".

The trouble is, I've got many thousands of files on drive C that are actually on drive C, and I have no desire to move them to drive E.  I only want to perform the above search-and-replace operation on those files which are listed in the database as being on drive C but which don't exist.

Do you really recommend upgrading to a beta product at this point?  I'll certainly switch to MC11 when it's released, but I'm a bit wary of doing it before then.

Solomon

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005, 05:38:50 pm »

Do you really recommend upgrading to a beta product at this point?

J River Betas Are Rather Good (Most Of The Time)

And MC11 Is Better And More Stable Than MC10
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Solomon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2005, 05:43:42 pm »

You're saying that MC11.0.193 beta is more stable than MC10.0.173?  If that's the case then I'll upgrade now...  Will I have to pay for yet another upgrade when MC11 is actually released or will the beta license work for the final release?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 05:46:00 pm »

I just wrote this: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=26075.msg180760#msg180760. Of course it's only my opinion.

It is also possible to use MC11 for fixing the library, export the fixed MC11 library to an MPL file and import the MPL file back to an empty library in MC10, even the databases are not compatible. The MPL format has not changed and it includes all library fields.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 05:48:05 pm »

You're saying that MC11.0.193 beta is more stable than MC10.0.173?  If that's the case then I'll upgrade now...  Will I have to pay for yet another upgrade when MC11 is actually released or will the beta license work for the final release?

There is no beta license. Just MC11 license. It will work.

EDIT

You will also have the usual try-out period. Remember to backup your current MC10 library first. I would recommend that you either uninstall MC10 completely or install MC11 to a separate folder and don't direct your current MC10 library to MC11. Instead make a new empty library to some other folder and restore the MC10 library backup to MC11.

Solomon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 06:01:37 pm »

Awesome, thanks everyone for the advice.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005, 06:07:19 pm »

What I would do is move all the files from within MC to the directory where that 'missing' files are located, then MC will think all the files are in the same place.  It will move the files that it can 'find' and it won't do anything with the files it can't find, but it will then think they are all in the same place, then move them ALL back to where you want them.

Good luck...
pretend this is something funny

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2005, 01:40:02 pm »

I tried MC 11 but it was not ready in the CUE file dept. so i have switched back to MC 10. Fast and stable.

You could try importing a backup of MC v10's database into MC 11, run that search, copy+paste into excel and then use that list with MC 10.

MC 11 is slightly slower than MC 10,  i expect it will catch up once they do the final refinements on it.

The speedup with MC 11 is only if you have lots of bios+lyrics etc and in the remote chance ur library is over 100K files. Other than that i dont expect it to be faster than MC 10.
Pages: [1]   Go Up