INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Usage Scenario Question  (Read 899 times)

davisford

• World Citizen
MC Usage Scenario Question
« on: February 20, 2005, 08:37:46 am »

Hi, I have a ton of CD-R's with MP3, and I am moving them online now.  I have a good deal of them already moved onto HD (e.g. Directory "MP3"), and I have imported all of this into MC.

The question I have is if I now copy from CD-R into Directory "MP3" onto HD, is there anyway for MC to synchronize with this change?  Is it the case if I tell MC to import again from the same directory, it will synchronize with the new additions, or will it also re-add references to tracks that I have previously imported?

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Davis

davisford

• World Citizen
Re: MC Usage Scenario Question
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 01:14:45 pm »

I believe I may have found a bug, or "hidden feature". 

I am attempting to find a good way to import new media into a directory that has already been imported into MC.

Given a Folder with naming structure as follows: K:\MP3\SomeGenre\ArtistName\AlbumName

I have previously imported the entire tree of K:\MP3 into MC

There is a second folder as follows:
K:\INCOMING\ArtistName\AlbumName

I copy from CD-R into K:\INCOMING with that naming structure of ..\ArtistName\AlbumName using Windows Explorer.

Then, I use MC to import the K:\INCOMING tree.

Using MC, I navigate down to Drives & Devices, and navigate the tree to K:\INCOMING.  I then use MC to drag K:\INCOMING\ArtistName into K:\MP3\SomeGenre\ -- and choose Move.

This seems to work fine so long as there isn't already an existing folder with the same ArtistName. 

If there is, this problem happens:

Example --

Within MC (not Windows Explorer), drag K:\INCOMING\Alec_Empire\SomeAlbum into K:\MP3\Electronic\

However, there already exists a folder called K:\MP3\Electronic\Alec_Empire

What ends up happening is the folder I dragged and chose a Move on somehow disappears into the aether.  There is no pop-up to warn that a duplicate folder name exists.  In Windows Explorer the behavior would be as follows:

1) Window pops-up to warn you there is a duplicate folder and if you want to overwrite.

2) If you choose yes, it recursively does this for each duplicate in the sub-tree. 

So, my files basically disappeared, and I can no longer find them anywhere on the file system.

This is MC 11

Regards,
Davis

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC Usage Scenario Question
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 02:11:11 pm »

You should add the new files to the directory : K:\MP3\SomeGenre\ArtistName\AlbumName and jsut use the import fumction to add the new files to the MC library.

You can use the find duplicates smartlist to check to see if MC is reimporting previously inported files.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up