INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: recovering user created fields after reinstall  (Read 975 times)

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
recovering user created fields after reinstall
« on: February 20, 2005, 12:53:45 pm »

hello

i had a problem with my laptop and had to reformat the drive and reinstall all programs.

i would like to know if there is a way of recovering the fields that i created in MC as there is a lot of important information that i don't want to loose.  i stored the information from these fields in file tags, so it should be stored in the media files.

i do have a back up of the version of MC that i was using prior to having to reformat so if there is information on the fields i created there i guess i could copy them across to the new folders

i would be grateful for some advice here

thanks

nick

kaiynne

• World Citizen
  • I Changed this by choosing profile
Re: recovering user created fields after reinstall
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 02:45:01 pm »

If you selected the information to be stored in the tags then the info will still be there.  You just need to recreate the fields in MC and it will display it again.  If you can't remember what you called all of the fields there are programs that will display all tag information for a certain file.  I think you can even right click and windows XP will display most of it.

The best bet to not have to go through this again is to just grab the last copy of you library that was backed up, before you reformat.  If you are using MC11 then an autobackup is made whenever you make a change.

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 06:31:46 am »

i have found a library backup from about a month ago which has successfully reinstalled most of what i want, but obviously is no good for fields that i have created in the past month,

when i created these fields i definitely selected to save them in the tag info, but when i now recreate these fields (i can remember the name of most of them), there is no tag info showing, even if i reimport the files into MC.  kaiynne you suggest this should be possible, but it ain't working for me!

you mention programs that would tell me all the tag info in my files.  can you suggest one that will show me even user created tag info, as the programs i have found only display basic tag info.

thanks

nick

DJ_Hazelwood

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 08:40:55 am »

you mention programs that would tell me all the tag info in my files.  can you suggest one that will show me even user created tag info, as the programs i have found only display basic tag info.

If you look at 'file properties/file type info' in media center, you can see all the tag info.

when i created these fields i definitely selected to save them in the tag info, but when i now recreate these fields (i can remember the name of most of them), there is no tag info showing, even if i reimport the files into MC. kaiynne you suggest this should be possible, but it ain't working for me!

Did you try 'update library (from tags)' after re-importing?
I think this should work. I suggest to try it with some files first.

Hope this helps  ;)

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 10:09:15 am »

thanks

can't see the tag info i am looking for, so guess it can't be there.  fortunately, having done a library restore i still have most of the info i need

nick
Pages: [1]   Go Up