INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: How is the Ipod support coming?  (Read 15068 times)

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How is the Ipod support coming?
« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2002, 04:27:38 am »

Hello again,

Continued thanks for the testing and reports. I will be in at midday today and will sort out what it all means. Look for more info later.

JGourd, that archive would be a help. Could you send to steve @ jriver.com? Thanks.

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
  • Geurilla Recording At Its Best
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2002, 05:32:53 am »

When I drag a playlist to the root of the iPod plugin or to the playlists sub folder, the files get queued, but the playlist itself doesn't

SteveG

« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2002, 02:40:19 pm »

Weekend update....

I have just posted a new Plug-in with today's date and time of 5:26.

I have found and corrected a bug that will hopefully correct the file deletion problems that have been reported. I revamped the Reset / Format right click option. If you use this option, you will delete everything in the "Music" directory on the iPod and it will be recreated with a single folder called "F00".  This is incompatible with MusicMatch (for now) so if you test and want to go back to MusicMatch, be prepared to use the Updater from MusicMatch which will reset things for you and delete your files and playlists. I sucessfully used this format option and then reused Ephpod (for those of you using Ephpod) but this assumes that your Ephpod is not using any of the other folders (F01 - F20?) THIS IS A HUGE ASSUMPTION. There probably is a way in Ephpod to have it recreate the folder structure the way it prefers. If there is, then go forth and test knowing that you can reset if necessary.

I suggest holding off on testing until next week when I pick up the battle again.

Kurt, special thanks for the detailed list. I will work on it next week.

JGourd, for now you must create the Playlist separately then drop the files onto it. This will improve in the future.

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2002, 06:30:02 pm »

I am playing around with the new plugin that makes a single music folder. Here are my first impressions:

It works!. It is not compiant with the "standard" Apple format, but it does work.

I was transfering a lot of files and I got the duplicate file error and it aborted. This would be a good arguement for implemting the multiple folders. An alternative is to rename the files to or with a timestamp.

I have an interface issue with the plug-in's sub folders. I had an album's file list in the right pane of MJ. I then clicked the "+" of the iPod and exposed the subfolder tree. I right-clicked on the "Pplaylists" sub folder and nothing happened. It wasn't unitl I clicked on the root icon of the iPod and put the iPod's contents in the right pane, that the right-click on the playlists sub folder began to work.

More to come...

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2002, 10:27:11 pm »

Woot, a new build!

Deleting files works now, and the "Reset iPod" function has been very nicely improved.  It's still got some irregularities and instabilities, but so far, so good.

Most distressing is that it seems to break MJ's TV-Tuner.  That's bad juju, hehe.

Here's the "he wrote it as he tested it" list.

Here's Kurt's list :D
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2002, 03:09:44 am »

Spam reaches new threshold.  ;)  I refuse to play with machines.  ;D

----

Hello, you recently sent a message to me at [onlyhismotherknows]@lamoateffe.com.

My mailbox is protected from junk mail by ChoiceMail - a permission-based email system that requires senders to be granted permission to contact the recipient.
Please click on the link below to verify your identity.

[Click here to request approval]

When your browser opens, fill in your name and a short reason for wanting to send e-mail to me. If your reason is acceptable, your first email and all subsequent e-mails from you will be delivered to me normally.

There is no need to send your original mail again.

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2002, 04:06:49 am »

Sorry about that Jim. I have put musicex on the approved list for my email.

ChoiceMail is an interesting Spam killer as it requires people who are not on your approved list to take an extra step to send you email the first time.

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2002, 06:52:09 am »

I've finally had some success with the most recent plug-in (Oct 18 17:26). I decided to follow Kurt's approach since he had started with the same problem as me, only being able to see Contacts and Calendars.

I used the newly downloaded 1.2.1 updater to restore my iPod. I then tried copying songs to it using MJ. The files uploaded but they didn't appear in on the iPod when it was disconnected from my PC.

I then used the option in the plug-in to format the iPod for use with MJ. When that completed I uploaded one album to the iPod, exited MJ and unmounted the iPod. Lo and behold the tracks appeared on the iPod.

I then got brave and sent a whole load of tracks, around 3Gb, to the iPod. This stopped fairly early on since the file naming system I was using, <track number> <track name> didn't like some of the live CD's and compilations I have ripped.

I renamed all my songs (~2000) to <album name> <track number> <title> using MJ (nice facility BTW) and started again.

I queued a combination of albums, artists and playlists to be uploaded. I was able to upload around 600 tracks before the plug-in said that a track already existed. This was probably because the track was in both a playlist and an album in the queue. I'm not sure if the plug-in allows you to upload a song twice, once in a playlist and once in another way.

I decided to give it all another go and formatted the iPod again using the MJ plug-in. I am currently uploading around 2.4Gb of tracks, all chosen by uploading an artist. So far they are uploading OK, although the process is a lot slower than with Ephpod. With Ephpod it takes around 1 sec per song (6Mbps). With the MJ plug-in it takes around 3-5 secs per song.

I also had a weird problem along the way. At one stage, MJ decided to keep on crashing on me with an exception violation :

Code: 0xc0000005
Flags: 0x00000000
Record: 0x0000000000000000
Address: 0x00000000028cd790

in Module 1 Media Jukebox.exe etc etc.

This error happened every time I sent an item to the iPod device. I resolved the problem by opening Ephpod. It said that it was writing Mac files to the iPod. Once that had done, I exited Ephpod and I was able to upload songs to the iPod again.

At the moment my main concern with the plug-in is how it handles tracks being uploaded in 2 different ways at the same time and how it copes with uploading playlists when some of the tracks are already on the iPod. Apart from that things are looking good.

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2002, 08:24:33 am »

Here's a further progress report. I just uploaded 5.480Gb of songs in 58m 54 secs. MJ displayed the songs correctly on the iPod. When I exited MJ and unmounted my iPod the new songs weren't listed and the song total on the iPod was incorrect.

I opened Ephpod and it listed the correct number of songs on the iPod. I exited Ephpod and unmounted the iPod again. Once again the new songs weren't displayed. I also opened up MJ and the songs were listed correctly.

I then used Ephpod's option to rebuild the iPod database. Once that was completed I was able to see all the songs on the iPod correctly.

Next, I added another 3 albums by a single artist. These uploaded successfully and were recorded in the iPod database correctly without needing to use Ephpod.

I also spotted a bug in the upload display. If you upload several tracks with the same name, the File Status is only updated in the first entry. For example, I uploaded Yellow Submarine twice from 2 different albums. The actual mp3 files had different names. During the upload, the file status changed on the first entry twice.

SteveG

« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2002, 10:07:07 am »

Thanks everyone for the reports.  I will get on improvements tomorrow and have a new post then.

Steve

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #110 on: October 21, 2002, 06:09:05 am »

Something else I forgot to mention. For some reason the MJ plug-in created a playlist with a blank name containing all the tracks on the iPod.

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2002, 06:22:43 am »

Yup,

I two blank playlists on mine.

SteveG

« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2002, 02:32:55 pm »

Hello Everyone,

This post has gotten pretty huge. I am going to close it and start a fresh thread.

Steve
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up