INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Invalid Address for Wright???  (Read 2101 times)

rickscogland

Invalid Address for Wright???
« on: February 19, 2005, 07:07:47 am »

For years, I had no bad burns.  Now every time I try to burn a CD, I get an "Invalid address for wright" error after 5-6 songs.  What is this, and how can I fix it?  Every song I have is a 128 kbps MP3 and they are all located in the My Music folder.  Here is my version info ...

Media Center Registered 10.0.155 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 2072 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 458 MB, Free - 215 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2573 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.041130-1729) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2578 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.041130-1729) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive D: OEM     CD-ROM F564E      Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive E: _NEC    DVD_RW ND-1300A   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   chord.wav

Burning /  Drive E: _NEC     DVD_RW ND-1300A    Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:2  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: No /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Invalid Address for Wright???
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 07:27:09 am »

Hmm... I have never stumbled on this.

wright (rīt)

n.

One that constructs or repairs something. Often used in combination: a playwright; a shipwright.

[Middle English, from Old English wryhta.]

Do you really mean wright? Could it be write?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 10:14:52 am »

Marko, just do what I do. Use a CD-RW to test burning. Then when it goes astray no harm, no foul. And you move back to whatever works for you until next release.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 01:57:44 pm »

rickscogland,

I think the problem may be related to the recent Windows updates. I see you have installed XP SP2. XP itself and WMP10 have an updated CD burning part. Perhaps it's conflicting with MC.

Somewhere hidden in the Windows options is a switch for turning the integrated CD burning off. It might be worth of trying. I did it immediately after noticing it, but just now I don't recall where the switch is. I guess you have to find it by yourself.

Also, you could update some of your programs:

Media Center 10.0.173

Adaptec ASPI 4.71.2
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 03:06:24 pm »

Somewhere hidden in the Windows options is a switch for turning the integrated CD burning off. It might be worth of trying. I did it immediately after noticing it, but just now I don't recall where the switch is. I guess you have to find it by yourself.

Three ways to do that:

1- In My Computer, right-click on the CD-drive, then click Properties. There should be a Recording tab. Click it. Uncheck 'Enable CD recording on this drive' Do this for all CD writers you have.

2- Right click on My Computer and choose Manage. Click the '+' next to Service and Applications. Click on Services. Find the IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service. Right click on it and set the startup type to Disabled. Manual will not stop it from being started when XP wants to.

3- There is also a registry hack, but I won't list it. If you want to play with your registry, Google on 'NoCDBurning'.

Any of these 3 should stop XP from wanting to write CDs.

rickscogland

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 08:27:51 am »

Me again ... I knew something was wrong with "wright" but I couldn't get beyond using or not using the "w" but I knew there was a "w" so I just went with it, forgetting to simply type write.  Back to topic ...

I can't seem to get this update: "Adaptec ASPI 4.71.2"  to take.  It wants to put it in a folder that doesn't exist on my computer, and I can't really figure out where to unzip it, because when I do a search on my computer, I can not find an Adaptec folder.  The only logical place looks to be in some dangerous looking system folders that I don't know about messing with.

I did this:  "In My Computer, right-click on the DVD-RW, then click Properties. There should be a Recording tab. Click it. Uncheck 'Enable CD recording on this drive' Do this for all CD writers you have"

I will update to Media Center 10.0.173 ... the only reason I haven't yet is because I finally got the media server to function so my home music plays on my work computer, and I didn't want to mess with using different versions.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 12:42:07 pm »

I can't seem to get this update: "Adaptec ASPI 4.71.2"  to take.  It wants to put it in a folder that doesn't exist on my computer, and I can't really figure out where to unzip it, because when I do a search on my computer, I can not find an Adaptec folder.  The only logical place looks to be in some dangerous looking system folders that I don't know about messing with.

Personally I know of no reason you need an ASPI layer at all.
If it were me, I'd uninstall the existing APSI and leave it at that.

Media Center Registered 11.0.196 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2671 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 544 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2573 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.041130-1729) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2578 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.041130-1729) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive F: SONY    CD-RW  CRX220E1   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G: PLEXTOR CD-R   PX-W4012A  Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: No /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive F: SONY     CD-RW  CRX220E1    Addr: 3:0:0  Speed:52  MaxSpeed:52  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive G: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PX-W4012A   Addr: 3:1:0  Speed:12  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 02:08:29 pm »

It's true. Usually ASPI is not needed anymore.

Burning /  Drive E: _NEC     DVD_RW ND-1300A

Have you bought this drive recently? Did you use a different drive earlier when you didn't have this problem?

If the problem is drive related yould could also try to find help from cdfreaks.com. This is the NEC forum: http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86

rickscogland

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005, 10:10:44 am »

I guess I'll give up on the ASPI updates.  The drive came with the computer, and did work fine for a long time.  I have not tried a burn since the other minor tweaks, so I'll give that a go.

rickscogland

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2005, 07:11:49 am »

rick, that aspi file is a self-extracting zip file. you can change "\adaptec" to anything you want, the files will be extracted to the address you specify either by typing or using the browse button.

-marko.

My problem was that I could not find the folder to put them in ... no folder was called ASPI or Adaptec, or anything that looked related.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2005, 08:13:38 am »

After you run the original file, it will extract lots of files to a directory, so what where it says it will unpack to.

Since you are on XP, you will need to go to that directory, open a command window (Start->Run->cmd)
Then type INSTALL.BAT XP32

Your new ASPI layer will be installed.
Then after you reboot, use the aspichk.exe file in the install directory to verify what you just did.

But, I'll still say you are better of without any ASPI layer, just remove the one that is there now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up