INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 24 bit conversion  (Read 1398 times)

thomaspf

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
24 bit conversion
« on: February 27, 2005, 10:56:28 pm »

Hi,

I should generate a 16 bit file with specific contetn to test this out but since I know some developer from JRiver can answer this question from the top of their head.

When I enable 24bit as the output format and play 16bit data. What is actually happening? Are you just filling the 24bit samples with the 16bit data in high order bits or do you do anything else?

Cheers

Thomas

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: 24 bit conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 04:03:57 pm »

Yes, it's essentially a bit shift.

However, note that the extra headroom is valuable when / if you apply any DSP or digital volume.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 05:21:41 pm »

I have used 16-bit output when I like to have a straight unaltered signal path for APE files or need to have it for multi-channel DTS wave files.

If Internal Volume or Replay Gain is enabled or the playlist consist of mixed file types I have used 24-bit output. I have understood that lossy files have so called floating bit depth and theoretically it would be better to output them at bit depth of 24 or 36.

Matt,

you have stated earlier that MC has a high quality 32-bit internal signal processing. It sounds excellent, but it would be nice to know a bit more about it. Could you "advertise" it again with a few technical specifications, for example:

Decoding of compressed files?
DSP part?
Output, ASIO etc?

I have seen some audio quality questions recently and it might be a good time to review these things.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

thomaspf

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 05:54:26 pm »

Yep, I have been experimenting with room correction which is taking place as digital eq in 32bit float space. I am using the parametric eq on Behringer DEQ2496 to smooth my <250Hz room response.

Somewhat tricky to set up but has quite an impact on the sound. I knew my room was bad  but I did not expect it to be that bad. New speaker position, new seating position, etc. etc.

I am not so sure how the Behringer works internally and was wondering whether I should feed it 24 instead of 16 bit for CD audio material. Since I am using a digital volume control on my DAC anyhow it looks like blowing all my data up to 24bit in MC is not going to loose any quality.

Thanks

Thomas
Pages: [1]   Go Up