INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File management issues  (Read 937 times)

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
File management issues
« on: March 02, 2005, 07:41:35 am »

I laways found MC's file management a bit flaky and unreliable. I saw in the bug thread that moving files within the file browser could accidentally delete files. Also, changing the song dir to a new drive or path feels very uncomfortable.

I have a different issue though:
I decided to rename album and dirs for Soundtracks. My old "system" was to name them "Soundtrack - A long way home", but now I wanted to name them "[OST] A long way home" instead.

It works okay, but if I have a folder.jpg in the dir (or perhaps other files not valid as music), they stay in the old dir which results in:
1.  Two dirs, "Soundtrack - A long way home" and "[OST] A long way home"
2. Moving the other files manually to the new dir
3. Delete the old dir

Is it too much to ask for that MC renames the dir instead and updates the library if any other files than those selected was present?

Thanks for your time!
/Martin

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
Re: File management issues
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 09:06:39 am »

That would be ok if you always move all files in a directory.
Sometimes you don't.

I agree that the covert art needs to follow the selection it is for.

I'd think things like this would be where the database MC touts would be useful.

Marty3d

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 09:37:06 am »

Yes, well I usually go to Action Window -> File properties and change the filename(path). When you do that, the logical is that the actual path SHOULD be changed, not copied and re-created...or?

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 09:45:45 am »

Yes, well I usually go to Action Window -> File properties and change the filename(path). When you do that, the logical is that the actual path SHOULD be changed, not copied and re-created...or?

But now you are talking about something completely different.
And no, if I edit a filepath via properties, I do not want any app to decide I want all files in that directory renamed/moved.

Editing the filepath in that manner in my opinion is a "Hi I have a new hard drive and have put the files in a different location" thing.

Library->Move/Copy should take into account the cover art, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up