INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC11 and mp4 encoding  (Read 1244 times)

geoptin

• World Citizen
MC11 and mp4 encoding
« on: April 26, 2005, 03:43:20 pm »

Hi,
I'm about to encode all my CDs using Nero's digital file converter (.mp4). I wonder if the new MC 11 will continue to support this file format, although not completely. Why doesn't MC 11 have an mp4 encoder? Could someone install an external mp4 encoder to MC11 and how?
Thanks, geoptin
geoptin

bbrip

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: MC11 and mp4 encoding
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 03:50:26 pm »

This is one of the serious shortfalls of MC11. I also have encoded my video library in nero Codec. Unfortunatky so far this is not supported. Quicktime 7 will support the Nero codec (as far as i understand) so this should sort the problem. But even better would be of MC11 could move on supporting ffdshow and zplayer - which support just about any codec around and can be configured freely quite well.

Bbrip

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 06:39:42 pm »

Please!?
pretend this is something funny

geoptin

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 01:46:21 am »

I quite agree with you bbrip. mp4 seems to be gaining in popularity and, after all, it's not some obscure encoder that only few people know about. Be it video or audio it's one of the latest and best encoders and it seems it's here to stay. I hope JRiver will consider all this and include it in some future version of MC. Even today, MC, with the support of QT, doesn't fully support mp4. It only plays mp4 files. That's it. You can't analyze audio, you can't use DSP Studio options either. At least I tried but I didn't notice any change (i.e. Living Room, Subwoofer, Jazzclub etc.).
I'd really like to know what other users of MC11 think about all this. I'm just a beginner, so I don't know that much as other guys do.
Any suggestions and corrections are welcome.
Thanks to all of you,
George
geoptin

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 07:20:59 am »

A few of us mentioned this a while back. J River's response was that they'd consider supporting mp4 / nero's newer formats when they became more mainstream.

Personally, I reckon it would be a much better idea to jump on the support wagon early and beat any potential competitors but hey, I realise they're trying to get MC11 out the door... maybe MC12?

OT: bbrip, I have just started fiddling around with nero digital for video backup myself. What settings do you find best for encoding? Are you using AVC or ASP? I'll probably end up doing some tests myself but it'd be great to hear what's working best for others out there...

Never really considered nero digital for audio backup... Are there any good resources out there comparing it to the other popular audio formats out there?

[Edit: Spelling]

bbrip

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 01:20:23 pm »

OT: bbrip, I have just started fiddling around with nero digital for video backup myself. What settings do you find best for encoding? Are you using AVC or ASP? I'll probably end up doing some tests myself but it'd be great to hear what's working best for others out there...

Hi there. This question fills whole threads in other forums. There is not simple *the best* solution. It all depends on your system surroundings, your key objectives (is it speed? quality? diskspace?) etc.

personally, I encode a lot of stuff with around 2mps in ASP. That is still less than a third of mp2 and you do not notice a difference. AVC is still quite slow and I just think it is not worth spending 24 hours waiting for a 2 hour film ecoding just for - admittedly - even better endresult and better compression.

At the end its your call. Only tip: Use the higher pre-settings (Cinema or HDTV) in whatever profile you use.  Definitly provides superior results

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 02:46:30 am »

Thanks bbrip... yeah I realise there's no single answer but thanks for your advice anyway - much appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up