INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 11.0.205 Beta CD Ripping adversly affects APE Playback  (Read 877 times)

mcollier

• World Citizen
11.0.205 Beta CD Ripping adversly affects APE Playback
« on: March 10, 2005, 12:19:20 pm »

Hello All,

I'm a new MediaCenter user and my first experience with the product is the 11.0.205 beta.

The only problem I am experiencing right now is that if I try to rip a CD to APE (very high) while playing an APE (very high), the playback becomes choppy.

My configuration is a P4 1.8Ghz, 768MB RAM.  I do not feel that this problem is due to a lack of CPU time for a number of reasons.

First, I have been using Windows Media Player for the past year ripping and playing lossless WMA files without problems.

Second, even now, while playing APE within MC, I can transcode from lossless WMA to APE (very high) using dbPowerAmp file converter without problems.  Of course, this process does not involve accessing my CDROM hardware, but you can refer to my first example for this.  Furthermore, my CDROM is in DMA mode etc.

I am very impressed with MC.  I just completed converting all my 6000 someodd lossless WMAs to APE in order to save some disk space.  I was able to save appoximately 3Gigs.  Thanks Monkey!  Had to find a replacement for my trusty Windows Media Player.

Matt

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Re: 11.0.205 Beta CD Ripping adversly affects APE Playback
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 12:31:27 pm »

I'll second this one.
1.7 Ghz Athlon.
Surely should stop playback over messing up recording.

mcollier

• World Citizen
Re: 11.0.205 Beta CD Ripping adversly affects APE Playback
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 12:38:14 pm »

Well, immediately after writing this message, I attempted to play a DVD on my system.  It was dropping frames.

Deja Doo Doo, I said, I've seen this nuts before.

So after confirming my suspicions by checking the properties on my secondary IDE controller (advanced tab), it was true, my DVD drive was running in PIO mode.

Evidently XP gets a little confused sometimes regarding PIO/DMA.

The solution is to "uninstall" the secondary IDE controller and reboot.  In my case XP has always redetected the secondary controller and put my DVD player back into DMA mode.  Although I haven't had to fiddle with this in over a month, it is evidently not a permanent solution to this problem.

I am currently Ripping a CD and playing APE without a problem!  Yeah!

Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up