INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound Anomalies Cured By Reboot  (Read 1515 times)

Shrubman

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Sound Anomalies Cured By Reboot
« on: April 22, 2005, 06:05:43 pm »

Hi all:

Here's my system info:

Media Center Registered 11.0.241 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1901 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 586 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2627 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050309-1648) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2620 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050225-1820) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive F:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive H:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive G: _NEC     DVD_RW ND-3520A    Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

I'm running my sound ASIO through an Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1LT.

Often, if my computer has been up for a period of time and I launch Media Center, the songs exhibit a good deal of periodic light pops, or static.

I've noticed that a PC reboot cures the problem. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Evan

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sound Anomalies Cured By Reboot
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 10:56:36 pm »

Interesting.  Are you hearing actualy pops and clicks that are sounds not apart of the songs or things more along the lines of pauses, stutters, skips.  How often are these happening and any specific time in a songs?
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

dedidio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 05:04:29 am »

I was getting similar problems with the same card (both asio and regular)

see this thread for what sorted it for me:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=25511.0
http://www.theindependentstate.co.uk - Where everyone is as bored as you.

Shrubman

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 09:42:07 am »

Interesting.  Are you hearing actualy pops and clicks that are sounds not apart of the songs or things more along the lines of pauses, stutters, skips.  How often are these happening and any specific time in a songs?

It's a bit hard to explain but I'll try. The songs do not skip or pause. They generally appear to play through at the normal rate. What I hear is more like little glitches, like someone is brushing a piece of paper across the singer's microphone or something. The noises are softer than the music, which is helpful, but they are definitely noticeable.

When the problem exists, it starts as soon as I start playing the music, usually making the noises every 10 seconds or so (yet random).

I should note that all of my music is ripped to my hard drive. None of this is with CDs.

BTW, is it possible for digital music to be slowed down or speeded up depending on what's happening with the PC? I swear there's been a time or two that songs sounded slower than they should have been- a problem that was, again, cured by a reboot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up