INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: transferring multiple playlists to ipod  (Read 1507 times)

trott

• World Citizen
transferring multiple playlists to ipod
« on: March 29, 2005, 12:36:38 pm »

Hey all,

When I drag a playlist to the action window and click the transfer button it gets transferred without problems. However, when I drag a playlist to the action window, then drag a second one and a third one, and then click transfer, all playlists only contain a handful of songs. (in my case each playlist contained about 160 songs in aac format and after transferring all 3 playlists got created but only had about 10 songs in them.)

I did get a popup window one time per playlist telling me that most of the songs could not be transferred...

Strangely enough, as I said, when doing it one playlist at a time everything works...

?

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
Re: transferring multiple playlists to ipod
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 12:49:09 pm »

I think you found a bug.

But there is another way of doing this -- by using the syncronize feature. There you would select all the playlists that you want to transfer and then click Transfer and they will all go (well, it's working for me at any rate).

trott

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 12:56:58 pm »

Yes, but as I mentioned in a previous thread, this does not work well when using smartlists...If you have a smartlist which you synchronize to the ipod it will get re-generated every time you hit the transfer button...which makes it impossible to quickly transfer a small amount of songs since the entire smartlist always gets transferred...

BTW this is also annoying in media center without the ipod: i feel it would be better to have a 'refresh' button to re-generate what's in a smartlist...(though I work around this by sending a freshly-generated smartlist immediately to the 'playing now' list...)

lOth

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 01:22:02 pm »

If you have a smartlist which you synchronize to the ipod it will get re-generated every time you hit the transfer button...

Personally, I hope this won't change as I use smartlists to select a random and limited number of songs to put on my iPod.

What you might want to do is follow Larry's instructions there:

http://www.jrmediacenter.com/Larry_Little_iPod_Management_MC.html

You will end up with a 'master smartlist' that contains all the songs to be transfered to your iPod. Only the song to be added to this list will need to be added to the iPod.  If all other smartlists to be transfered to the iPod include a 'Playlist: master ipod smartlist' argument, they won't result in any file transfer to the iPod, just an update of the playlist.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 04:32:27 pm »

Using 230 I am unable to duplicate this when using playlists.  If you are using smartlists, you would be better off to use synchronization.

Please take a look at Larry's thread and see if this can work for you.

Keep in mind that the recreation of smartlists is very fast on iPod if the files are already on the iPod. 

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up