INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP!  KRNL386.EXE crash at Burn Process  (Read 2537 times)

Marius

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
HELP!  KRNL386.EXE crash at Burn Process
« on: October 17, 2002, 09:57:56 am »

Hey all...just downloaded MJukebox...latest version on site.  However, i cannot even evaluate the burning feature.  The program correctly recognizes my CDRWdrive.  Here is what occurs:

- launch MJukebox
- click on BURN CD
- dialog box appears, asking me whether Data or Audio CD (select Audio)
- click OK and then CRASH!  I get an ILLEGAL OPERATION message pointing to KRNL386.exe...this error occurs no matter how I try to select files to be burned...

WIN98 SE (all updates current)
P II 300
512MB
Adaptec ASPI 4.71 (verified install)

HELP!   ?

I really think I will like your product, but I need help right away to check it out!

I also have the following burning software installed (and all work 100% properly):

Nero 5.5.9.14
ClodeCD 4.0.10.1
CDRWin 3.9b
Acoustica MP3Burner 2.10
MusicMatch Jukebox 8.2.173

TIA,
marius

Marius

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: HELP!  KRNL386.EXE crash at Burn Process
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2002, 10:00:51 am »

Oops...Sorry forgot to give you info on my CD burners:

SONY CRX195E1 - slave, (my preferred Drive H)
SONY CRX160E1 - master, (Drive G)

thanks,
marius

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2002, 10:11:34 am »

I thought I read somewhere (either here or Hydrogen) about there being some compatibility problem w/ Nero. Do u have latest Nero version? Could you temporarily disable it, then test MJ. I really don't think you need Nero (or MusicMatch) at all anymore, once you get up to speed w/ MJ.

Xenno

Marius

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2002, 11:35:45 pm »

I thought I read somewhere (either here or Hydrogen) about there being some compatibility problem w/ Nero. Do u have latest Nero version? Could you temporarily disable it, then test MJ. I really don't think you need Nero (or MusicMatch) at all anymore, once you get up to speed w/ MJ.

Xenno

xenno:

thanks for the reply, but that is not the kind of answer i am looking for.  i am not looking for media jukebox to replace a program like Nero.  and quite honestly, there is no reason at all for a current pieceof software like Media jukebox to have problems with other major and popular apps like Nero.  however, yes, if i can get media jukebox to work properly, i would very likely get rid of music match jukebox as that would be redundant.

still need help here gang!...

thanks,
marius

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2002, 02:19:07 am »

Marius,
I think Nero themselves fixed the problem Xenno mentions.  Have you checked with them?

Jim

Marius

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2002, 03:32:43 am »

Marius,
I think Nero themselves fixed the problem Xenno mentions.  Have you checked with them?

Jim

Jim...thanks for the response....No I haven't checked with Nero, but I am unaware of the problem that Xenno mentions...do you know of a link where i can get info on this?  have searched everywhere i know,including the nero site...

tia,
marius

Marius

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2002, 03:34:12 am »

Xenno

xenno...sorry didn't mean to sound like an ass about the compatitibilty issue of mdeia jukebox with nero...do you know offhand any links where i can investigate this purported problem with nero?  what is this Hydrogen thing?  sorry for the ignorance...

tia,
marius

xen-uno

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2002, 06:05:23 am »

Do a google search for Nero - see if there's a more current version. If not, uninstall Nero - you don't need it and I'm positive it's causing your problems.

Of the 5 programs u list:
Nero 5.5.9.14
ClodeCD 4.0.10.1
CDRWin 3.9b
Acoustica MP3Burner 2.10

MJ can replace them all (I would keep CloneCD and whichever one is the best burner). I would suggest, though, that you pick up Exact Audio Copy (a supreme ripper & configurable encoder). MJ & EAC go hand in hand.

Hydrogen is Hydrogen Audio (http://www.audio-illumination.org/forums/index.php?act=portal). Once there do a search on Nero. Go ahead & setup a user account. It's a cool BB with lots of interesting posts & helpful folks. I'm Xenno over there too.

Marius

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2002, 08:21:26 am »

Do a google search for Nero - see if there's a more current version. If not, uninstall Nero - you don't need it and I'm positive it's causing your problems.

Of the 5 programs u list:
Nero 5.5.9.14
ClodeCD 4.0.10.1
CDRWin 3.9b
Acoustica MP3Burner 2.10

MJ can replace them all (I would keep CloneCD and whichever one is the best burner). I would suggest, though, that you pick up Exact Audio Copy (a supreme ripper & configurable encoder). MJ & EAC go hand in hand.

Hydrogen is Hydrogen Audio (http://www.audio-illumination.org/forums/index.php?act=portal). Once there do a search on Nero. Go ahead & setup a user account. It's a cool BB with lots of interesting posts & helpful folks. I'm Xenno over there too.

Xenno:

thanks...will check out hydrogen for sure...

the version of nero i have is the absolute latest...5.5.9.14 so no way to update that app...

actually, my desire to consolidate some apps is the reason i am so interested in checking out MediaJukebox in the first place!  I really am not a fan of having a million apps installed when a few great ones will suffice.  Having said that, i still am reluctant to ditch Nero, though i agree that i can (and likely will) ditch a bunch of the rest.  Nero seems so COMPLETE to me, especially when one factors in all the diagnostic and testing functions that come with it like CDSpeed.  Quite frankly, this is one of the main reasons why i wanna keep nero so badly.

for burning data CDs, the best app I have found is CDRWin, hands down.  The fastest, the smallest footprint and after what seems like thousands of burns, it has never let me down.  CloneCD is my preferred app to make exact copies of CDs on the fly.

and yes, i forgot to include CDEx...it is far and away the best ripping program i have come across.  I know that many people are high on EAC, but for some reason EAC behaves badly on my system as well.

<sigh>  so much software...so little time...

thanks again for the input....I am still hoping for MediaJukebox developers to respond here re: my problem before i start uninstalling stuff.  Do any "official" folks ever respond here?  If not, is there any way I can get info directly from the horse's mouth?

best,
marius

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2002, 10:16:25 am »

The "did you check Nero" above was official.

You might try a search here for Nero also.  Here's an example of what you can find:

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=1026832469;start=4

Captain MJ

xen-uno

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2002, 10:37:11 am »

>>Nero seems so COMPLETE to me, especially when one factors in all the diagnostic and testing functions that come with it like CDSpeed

I can understand that - but once you've done that on a drive you know is good then there's not much point in keeping it around. You stated that EAC doesn't work well on your machine. Well, it's probably having the same interaction problems that MJ does.

It's strange that your other programs are working with Nero around. You'll have that. Interactivity between programs is difficult to predict.

Satisfy your curiosity (and mine), kill Nero and try MJ/EAC again. See what happens.

Xenno

Marius

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2002, 12:30:09 pm »

The "did you check Nero" above was official.

You might try a search here for Nero also.  Here's an example of what you can find:

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=1026832469;start=4

Captain MJ

Jim (or should I say Captain MJ?)...

gee, now i feel like a horse's ass!  thanks for offering the official advice!  ok...reluctant as i am to do it, i will proceed with an uninstall of Nero 5.5.9.14 and then try MediaJukebox again.  Should I also uninstall MediaJukebox after ditching Nero and then re-install MJ?

and what about INCD?  this is Nero's packet writing app for CDRW disks, but i do not have that installed.  it is an optional add-in and since i don't really need to have packet writing for my CDRWs I didn't download nor did i install it.  is this what you are referring to as the possible cause of my problem?  if so, this is likely not the solution, at least not in this case.  

i do however have a version of packet writing software that came with my older sony CDRW drive, but I had already removed it prior to installing MJ (in fact, i got rid of it quite some time ago) and also I made sure manually that no device drivers for the sony program remain on my system and that nothing related to that sony app gets loaded.

thanks again jim!  nice to see that you folks really try your best to support MJ.  Another reason i really wanna give MJ a shot!  btw, your support thus far here in this forum is WORLDS BETTER than Acoustica's.  I had been having some issues with their MP3Burner software and they were completely non-responsive.  I ended up solving the problem after my own research but have since given up on the app.

will try ditching nero anyway and see what happens...

best,
marius

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2002, 12:49:07 pm »

Looking back quickly, I don't see whether you have checked the FAQ here yet.  Especially ASPI.

I don't want to point the finger at Nero.  It could be lots of things.  I was just backing Xen up on the possibility that it could be Nero.

xen-uno

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2002, 01:14:38 pm »

Jim,

I do all the hard work, and you get all the credit! :)

Whaaazzup w' dat?

Xenno

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2002, 01:58:46 pm »

I give you all the credit.   ;D  That's official.

Marius

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2002, 03:02:13 pm »

Looking back quickly, I don't see whether you have checked the FAQ here yet.  Especially ASPI.

I don't want to point the finger at Nero.  It could be lots of things.  I was just backing Xen up on the possibility that it could be Nero.

Jim (AND Xenno!)...

You BOTH have been great!  Is that better?   ;D

Yeah, I did check the FAQ...first thing I look for before reaching out for a helping hand...didn't notice any flags, especially not about ASPI, but will check again...Also, like I said originally, my ASPI layer is completely up to date (per Adaptec's ASPICheck...everything fine with the latest 4.71 version I have installed)....

still scratching my head though...and no, didn't get a chance to ditch nero yet....still hoping for an alternative solution before i make the dive!

here's a thought...would MJ care whether my main CDWriter is in the slave position on the IDE chain?  Or maybe the fact that I have 2 CD burners is throwing it off?  doubt it, but never hurts to ask...

thanks,
marius

xen-uno

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2002, 03:24:02 pm »

:) I feel great now, Mar :D

>>and what about INCD?  this is Nero's packet writing app for CDRW disks

Usually packet writing drivers "step aside" on reading/ripping & burning CD-R's. But maybe Nero doesn't. I use Adaptec/Roxio's DirectCD for packet writing RW's. No compatibility problems with any rip & burn software.

>>would MJ care whether my main CDWriter is in the slave position on the IDE chain?  Or maybe the fact that I have 2 CD burners is throwing it off?

It shouldn't. With a 2 IDE channel Moth Board I assume you've got your hard drive as Master on chan 1. With (2) RW drives, it's probably best to have your "main" drive as a Master on chan 2. Have your 2nd RW as a slave on chan 1.
Summary: Don't put both RW's on same IDE channel, and your "main" needs to be a master.

Xenno

Marius

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2002, 03:24:34 pm »

Jim and Xenno...

Ok, have just revisited the FAQ for MJ...nothing there to help.  Double-checked the ASPI section as well and even followed the link to d/l ASPIcheck...

btw, the link in the MJ FAQ for ASPICheck is to an older version (1.0.0) from Adaptec...there is a newer (2.0.0) version that i think comes bundled with the ASPI 4.71 download.

Anyway, the old version (incorrectly) reports (under Win95 OS, but I am running Win98SE) the following:

- WNASPI32.dll  v4.711 (0)  date=5-6-2002  
- WINAPSI.dll  N/A
- APIX.vxd  v4.7.11 (0)  date=5-6-2002
- ASPIENUM.vxd  N/A

"ASPI IS NOT PROPERLY INSTALLED.  ONE OR MORE COMPONENTS HAVE BEEN REPLACED WITH OLDER VERSIONS OF THE SOFTWARE."

The NEW ASPICheck reports for WIN98 OS:

- APIX.vxd  v4.71.1
- WNASPI32.dll  v4.71.1

"ASPI IS PROPERLY INSTALLED AND FULLY OPERATIONAL."

so what's a guy to do?

Also, since MJ uses some CDRW driver code from GoldenHawk, I triple checked that my drive is supported.  Besides, CDRWin is and has always been functioning perfectly.

the mystery continues...
marius

xen-uno

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2002, 03:30:41 pm »

It probably won't matter, but for grins & giggles reinstall latest ASPI. Make sure EVERYTHING (especially MJ) is closed. Use Start>Run to start ASPI install. MJ can use it's internal ASPI (default) or Adaptec's external ASPI. That should (at least) take care of the weird ASPI error.

Xenno

Marius

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
???Re: HELP!  KRNL386.EXE crash at Burn Process
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2002, 03:47:25 pm »

It probably won't matter, but for grins & giggles reinstall latest ASPI. Make sure EVERYTHING (especially MJ) is closed. Use Start>Run to start ASPI install. MJ can use it's internal ASPI (default) or Adaptec's external ASPI. That should (at least) take care of the weird ASPI error.

Xenno

xenno...god, i feel like i am bouncing off the walls here!

tried the re-install of ASPI as suggested...even restarted before i re-installed and then re-started again...nothing was running...

result...SAME...MJ opens fine, i can do everything else in MJ, i launch the Burn CD applet,a dialog box comes up asking to choose between data and audio,click OK and then BOOM...krnl386.exe error...Nothing has changed....

Oh yeah, most importantly...i ditched Nero when i uninstalled ASPI too so Nero is gone and I am confident that nero is not the cause of the problem now....

running out of ideas and am really sad...i REALLY REALLY wanna get MJ working...it has come so highly recommended and it looks like it will do everything i could want it to....EXCEPT BURN CDs...   :-[

marius

xen-uno

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2002, 04:10:06 pm »

>>EXCEPT BURN CDs...
Explain further exactly (like verbatim) what it's doing.

In the meantime:
Shut down. Set up your main RW as a Master on IDE chan 2 (secondary). Pull the 2nd RW out. Leave it out and reboot.  Do the ASPI install again. Install MJ again right over the old installation. See what happens.

This is a lot of trouble, but it will be worth it.

Also...install EAC and run it through it's paces (u know, do things on it that it didn't do well before). It should run much better than it did.

Bottom line: Win 98 stinks and doesn't really handle more exotic setups well (like 2 CD-RW's). I can say that I've thrown about everything at my W2000 machine and it's never failed. It may not be OS related, but.......

Xenno

........I've got to go get drunk now

Marius

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2002, 07:43:24 am »

>>EXCEPT BURN CDs...
Explain further exactly (like verbatim) what it's doing.

In the meantime:
Shut down. Set up your main RW as a Master on IDE chan 2 (secondary). Pull the 2nd RW out. Leave it out and reboot.  Do the ASPI install again. Install MJ again right over the old installation. See what happens.

This is a lot of trouble, but it will be worth it.

Also...install EAC and run it through it's paces (u know, do things on it that it didn't do well before). It should run much better than it did.

Bottom line: Win 98 stinks and doesn't really handle more exotic setups well (like 2 CD-RW's). I can say that I've thrown about everything at my W2000 machine and it's never failed. It may not be OS related, but.......

Xenno

........I've got to go get drunk now

Xenno and Jim:

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Don't ask me what I did...I have no idea...actually ended up re-doing a bunch of different things and unbelievably it worked!  Unfortunately Jim, I cannot tell you exactly what resolved the issue so I will be of no use to you in terms of your troubleshooting DB...sorry.... :(

So...uninstalled MJ completely...  Re-booted...  Re-installed Adaptec ASPI 4.71...rebooted...re-installed MJ...re-booted after install (didn't even try to launch it after install)...launched MJ, tried to burn...FAILED...SAME ERROR...uninstalled MJ....rebooted....re-installed ASPI...rebooted....re-installed MJ...rebooted....launched MJ....tried a burn...SUCCESS!!!!!

jesus wept but i almost fainted dead away at my keyboard... ;)

so in the spirit of "it ain't broke so don't fix it", I am gonna let things sit on my system for awhile.  Yes, Nero and all my other CDR and MP3 software are ALL STILL RESIDENT...I did not uninstall anything else...And sorry Xenno, neither I do anything hardware-wise...(though i probably should at some point, just not now!)

so FINALLY!  Successful burn of MP3 audio CD!  MJ is insanely fast!  40x all the way and of the 2 I tried, they appear to be flawless burns.  LOOKING GOOD!   ;D

so prelim observation:  MJ is some pretty good piece of software!  An incredible amount of depth to the app...maybe a wee bit heavy on the flashy stuff for me (i have killed the skins - is there any way to globally kill the visualizations when playing mp3s?) but seems to work great...so far!  finally i am able to put MJ through its paces, which is what i was trying to do in the first place!

so BIG THANK YOUs to all who chimed in trying to help, especially to Xenno and Jim -you folks have been marvelous.  now i am gonna annoy all of you here with silly newbie mp3 questions that i can probably find answers for in the FAQ... :P

gonna start right now!  

is there any way for MJ to use Blade as an encoder?  i have successfully setup MJ with the latest LAME 3.92 exe but i while I have other encoding apps that can use the Blade.dll, i can't get it to recognize in MJ...is there a blade.exe somewhere i need to use for MJ?  i know, blade might suck for some people, but i love its speed and so far its accuracy is pretty spot on for me at 192.  This is not a big deal as I will probably only use CDEx for all my encoding going forward, but its nice to know...

bonus question!

does or will or can MJ support MP3Pro decoding/encoding?  and does MP3Pro suck or is it a waste at higher bitrates like >128?

crap..bonus question 2...

is there a secure or verify burn function in MJ?  if not, is this in the works?  this would really give peace of mind, tho with CDRs so cheap it doesn't matter a whole helluvalot, but still...every penny counts...

thanks again all...gonna play now (and maybe get drunk too even tho only 11:45AM EST...cheers Xenno!)

marius

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2002, 07:53:13 am »

Good news.

> is there any way to globally kill the visualizations when playing mp3s?

Yes.  Try a right click on the display screen or try the controls on the screen.  Double click on screen for full screen and try those.

> Blade.
I don't think so.

> MP3pro
No.  It's a licensing thing.

zevele10

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2002, 02:43:47 pm »

Concerning the Nero fonctions testing speed or to be sure to have your drive working at the max speed.
You can get this 2 things without having Nero on your computer.
You may find it on they site.If not have a look at DBpowerAmp.In the fact section concerning rip\burn there is a link to them.There is also something about Windows 98.
98 SE was not bad ,but look like that many musical programs  make it outdated.
If you have someone with 2000 or even ME around you,update ,you would run anything better
Pages: [1]   Go Up