INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transfer Playlists to iPod?  (Read 4670 times)

Rem1234

• Recent member
Transfer Playlists to iPod?
« on: February 03, 2005, 02:49:47 pm »

I'm a new MC user.  I've ripped a ton of CD's into MC, and all have transferred to my iPod okay.  Now I went into MC and created several Playlists (I previously had no playlists).  After I created these in MC, I clicked on the playlist name and dragged it to the Tranfer Files area, and then got a message about duplicate files?  I don't want to transfer the actual songs in the playslist to the iPod,(which is what it seemed like it was going to do) .... I just want to transfer the actual playlist itself?  So, I aborted that, and instead I did a Synchronize.  But, my playlists do not show up on the iPod?  Just as a test, I made a small playlist with just one song, and dragged it to the transfer files area, then ignored the duplicate file message and went ahead with the transfer.  After doing that, the song did not duplicate on the iPod, and also, the Playlist was not transferred to the iPod.  What's up with that?

Is there a way to just simply transfer a single playlist itself (or, group of playlists) onto the iPod?  This seems like a basic fundamental thing, but I see no reference to it in the Help.

Thanks for your help.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Transfer Playlists to iPod?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 02:51:41 pm »

What version of MC do you have?

Rem1234

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 03:09:13 pm »

I just purchased it a few days ago, so it is whatever version that is the current one to be downloaded.  I think that it is 10.

Rem1234

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 06:44:21 pm »

I was at my office when I posted my question, so couldn't verify my exact version number.  I just got home and checked:  version 10.0.173

When I go to Help->Check For Updates, it tells me that there are no updates.

What do I need to do to get my playlists to transfer from MC to my iPod, please?

By the way .... I do love MC!!  It is a great program.

Rem1234

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 12:48:38 pm »

Some more information:  I tried re-initializing my iPod and then re-synching from scratch.... no luck.  When I have the iPod attached, and I am in MC, I see the iPod as F:, and under F: -> Playlists, I can right click on "Playlists" and select "Add Playlist" and go through the whole process of building a playlist -- and it looks like it worked, but ... it does not appear on the iPod.   I have spent many hours now trying everything I can think of ... I can not get a playlist to appear on my iPod.

Is this a feature that is "supposed" to work in MC10?  Or, is this a known problem?

If it is supposed to work, what possible situation can exist that will prevent playlists from getting over to the iPod from MC?  Is there some "magic" trick that I don't know about?

Somebody please reply. 
Thank you.

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 04:55:21 pm »

Rem1234,

Try right clicking on the iPod in the tree and select 'Synchronization'. This will bring up a list of your playlists. Select the ones you want and click 'Synchronize' This should create the playlists on your iPod.

Steve

Rem1234

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 05:29:19 pm »

Thanks .... so, okay, I was wondering why when I selected "Synchronize" that I did not see the list of playslists to select from as you said that I should ...??

I discovered that on the Synchronize dialog window the "Synchronize all files" checkbox was checked.  I guess that I assumed that for some reason maybe "Synchronize all files" might have actually meant .... synchronize all files (ie, ALL files, songs and playlists) .... but, it does not in fact mean that.   Synchronize all files actually means synchronize all SONGS, but do not include playlists!!

When I uncheck that box, and then I see the individual items listed to select from for synchronizing, and I then put a checkmark in the playslists .....   VIOLA,  playlists appear on the iPod.

Well, I'm glad to have this working anyway.  But, I would suggest that you either change the text of that checkbox from "Synchronize all files" to say ... "Synchronize all songs (excluding playslists)" .... or else, actually cause that option to synchronize both songs and playlists (ie, ALL files).

Thanks for your help.

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2005, 05:24:11 pm »

What you describe (all files and all playlists)  is how it works in MC 11.

Steve

trott

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 09:36:47 am »

Steve,

Rem1234,
Try right clicking on the iPod in the tree and select 'Synchronization'. This will bring up a list of your playlists. Select the ones you want and click 'Synchronize' This should create the playlists on your iPod.
Steve

Right, but when you do this with a smartlist which has a sort order of random, everytime you do a synchronization the smartlist gets a completely new set of songs in it and the ipod playlist is overwritten with them.

I thought of working around this by clearing all previously selected playlists to be synchronized, but then, upon synchronizing, all playlists on the ipod get deleted.

This is annoying, because I like to create my playlist in media center and then send it off to the ipod for playing. However, the idea is that once it's on the ipod it also stays there until I manually want to delete it.

Is there no way to create a playlist on the ipod and then send the contents of a playlist created in media center to that ipod playlist? I can drag and drop the files in a MC playlist to an ipod playlist, but they just end up in the list of all songs and the playlist is unchanged.

This is with MC 11 b196 by the way...

SteveG

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2005, 11:47:15 am »

trott,

Sorry, I am not really following what the issue is here. If you drag and drop a playlist onto the Action Window, the playlist and the contents will go to iPod. If the files are already on iPod, the playlist will be created with the correct files but the files will not retransfer because MC detects that the files are already there. If you use smartlists that are random or dynamically generated, the contents of those smartlists will change when you resync (as I think they should). If you do not want the contents to change, Playlists will be the way to accomplish this.

Steve

trott

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 04:36:36 pm »

quite right, I didn't know you can transfer a playlist that way. What I tried was always to drag the playlist to 'drives & devices' / 'ipod' / 'playlists' directly. And this does not create the playlist but only transfers the songs, hence my confusion. I tried dragging to the action window instead and it works as advertised.

SteveG

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 04:59:49 pm »

Thanks for the update.

Steve

rldoose

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005, 07:33:40 am »

I to am a new MC user & had the same questions.  This thread was  very helpful!

Reagan

Quixote

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2005, 02:22:52 pm »

Thanks!  This thread also solved my problem too.  I actually think that dragging the actual playlist from the tree to the iPod playlist tree should do the same thing though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up