INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange issue w/MC m3u and Iriver 120  (Read 1971 times)

tombo77

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Strange issue w/MC m3u and Iriver 120
« on: April 15, 2004, 04:47:53 pm »

Whenever I R click on a playlist to export to the iHP120 it sends the M3U file to the Iriver but when I try to run that playlist on the Iriver I get a "playlist error" messgae. Now if I then IMPORT the playlist  into WINAMP and export it from there to the Iriver , the Iriver recognizes it and plays fine.

No changes are made except that I have to first send it to WINAMP!

IF I drag the playlist to the "handheld device" directly it wants not only to transfer the Playlist but all associated files which are already on the Iriver!!   As I do not want duplicate files I cannot use that function.  

Waht am I missing here.  I have renamed the Iriver to Jukebox, but it seems to have the same issue regardless of the name.

BTW I do not use the DB funtion n the Iriver as I play M#U play lists only.
iRiver 120 (sold Ipod 10G)
ETY 4P/S
Sony TR2 w/Indigo I/O
Dell 8600
Sony MD and CD Players

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re:Strange issue w/MC m3u and Iriver 120
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 05:13:23 pm »

As I recall, WinAmp m3u's don't contain path info whereas MC m3u's do. Is there any way you can look at the m3u's each creates with a text editor (ie NotePad)? My guess is that MC's path info is trippin the iRiver up. Exporting the playlist to the iRiver via MC should be a specialized function (vs MC>File>Export Playlist) that would take the portable's directory structure into account...so it may not be path related.

10-27

tombo77

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 06:28:58 pm »

If Winamp's M3U file does not contain path information, how would it know what files to point to in various floders for playback?

It seems the Iriver can identify the winamp playlist andfind the files associated. But MC's playlist "confuses the Iriver even though the playlists were constructed from the Irivers directory structure.  

MC wants to send all the files as well when you drag a plalist. But I have no way of know where those files will end up, or in what folders, or will they write over or duplicate the files already there.

Somehow WINAMP is "converting" the MC playlist so the Iriver CAN recognize it!

I would think a file extention is equal, in other words an M3u is the same format regardless of where it was created. It is a native winamp file extension and MC seems to want to "change" it somehow.  

It would be nice if I could just use MC and not need the Winamp converter process for the Iriver to read M3U.  

I drag and drop all my files to the Iriver in explorere THEN create playlists from the file structure in the Iriver so there should be no issue with path. I then load the exact file struture and playlists back to the notebook as a mirror of the Iriver........

Confused in LAs VEgas!
ETY 4P/S
Sony TR2 w/Indigo I/O
Dell 8600
Sony MD and CD Players

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
  • Keep on doing mambo ...
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 09:55:34 pm »

tombo77,

I reported this issue a few days ago. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=20598
SteveG already stated that a plugin is needed for the iRiver.

I hope that its high on his priority list. I also need that function. Without that a player with 3000 songs is almost useless.

SteveG, plisten hear our screams for a plugin.  ;D

MarSies .....

Empyrean

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 08:10:52 am »

Yes, I am waiting for Steve to create a plug-in as well! I switched from an iPod to the iRiver and the loss of functionality is killing me!

tombo77

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2004, 05:13:50 pm »

Actually its not that bad. I use Media Center for creating playlists etc. I exort them as M3U  to a folder then load them in win amp 'dod the shuffle" and save to the root dir of the iriver.  

I don't use DB so I can just delect and play the M3U.

It would be nice not to have to use Winamp but its not that much of a bother.  

The 120 is well worth the effort over the Ipod fer sure!!!!
ETY 4P/S
Sony TR2 w/Indigo I/O
Dell 8600
Sony MD and CD Players

Zoom

• Recent member
Re: Strange issue w/MC m3u and Iriver 120
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 10:50:46 am »

Any update on this plugin?  Is there one?  I was trying for a while to figure out how to create a playlist that will work on my H120 by iRiver.  I have MC 11.  Any suggestions?
Pages: [1]   Go Up