INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File handling - how to?  (Read 2264 times)

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
File handling - how to?
« on: March 29, 2005, 02:17:34 am »

Hi!

I've been renaming files and folders quite alot lately since I've been cleaning my library. But everytime I end up being forced to rename them in Explorer and reimport the files. I would really like to do this within MC instead. But how?

Example 1:
The file "Beatles - A hard days nigth" is misspelled. In Action Window -> File Properties -> Filename (name), I rename it to "Beatles - A hard days night". Instead of renaming the file, MC only sets the library to the new name and the file becomes missing.
Solution: Use the Explorer and rename the file. Update library.

Example 2:
The folder "Beatles - A hard days nigth" is misspelled. In Action Window -> File Properties -> Filename (path), I rename it to "Beatles - A hard days night". Instead of renaming the folder, MC copies the folder, resulting in two folders and a minor mess.
Solution: Use the Explorer and rename the folder. Update library.

How should you go about renaming files and folders? Please help! This should be an easy operation!!

Thanks
/Martin

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: File handling - how to?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 03:02:06 am »

What MC version? What is the full path of the files? Can you rename other files with MC? I am not sure if this helps anything in this case, but could you post your System Info from MC Help menu here?

I guess it has worked earlier. What has changed on your PC or with the file system after that?

Perhaps something is preventing MC from renaming the files. Sometimes people have read-only files because the files were copied from data CDs with older Windows versions. I suppose it's not that this time, because you can rename the files with Windows Explorer. It must be something more complicated. Could it have something to do with the user rights? Are the files on a local HD?

I can rename files anywhere in MC with the latest MC11 build. Also MC 10.0.173 works without problems.

Generally it would be easier to rename a bunch of files with the Rename Files From Properties tool than to do it in Action Window. You could first check the file tagging and use the tool for organizing the folders and renaming the files. Of course you must first find out what is preventing MC.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Marty3d

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 04:20:06 am »

I'm running MC 11.219 I believe (sitting in my office right now so I can't check the exact version)

I actually don't know if it's worked before, havent done this until a couple of months ago.

Since you don't get any error messages, one can only guess, and one thing it could be is that I'm trying to rename a file currently playing, assuming that the renaming takes place AFTER the file has been played.

But how do you usually go along when you want to rename a file?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 05:11:28 am »

I'm running MC 11.219 I believe (sitting in my office right now so I can't check the exact version)

You should install the latest build (currently 11.0.225). Builds before it and after 11.0.196 were a bit unstable for various reasons.

I actually don't know if it's worked before, havent done this until a couple of months ago.

Since you don't get any error messages, one can only guess, and one thing it could be is that I'm trying to rename a file currently playing, assuming that the renaming takes place AFTER the file has been played.

It's better to avoid renaming files that are in use. MC can hold tagging until the file is released, but I don't know if that works with renaming.

But how do you usually go along when you want to rename a file?

Hmm... I'm not sure what you mean. Surely you are familiar with the many tools MC has (as a long time user).

I prepare all new files in a temporally rip/download folder. I check the file tags and then I use the Rename Files From Properties tool for relocating and naming the files. Usually I don't have to touch the naming after that. If I need to fix something later I just fix it with MC tools or by directly typing the information.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Marty3d

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 05:21:29 am »

Hmm... I'm not sure what you mean. Surely you are familiar with the many tools MC has (as a long time user).

I prepare all new files in a temporally rip/download folder. I check the file tags and then I use the Rename Files From Properties tool for relocating and naming the files. Usually I don't have to touch the naming after that. If I need to fix something later I just fix it with MC tools or by directly typing the information.

Yes, I do the same, preparing files before importing them into MC. But IF you have a file that's fallen between chairs, how would you go on renaming that particular file?

As I am a long time user, the file tools within MC has always been kind of...unclear, if you know what I mean. There's always a risk that you destroy more than you fix :)

So, which tools would you use in the above example?

Thanks!

CDvd

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 06:06:09 am »

I don't think it's possible to rename a file with the help of "Action Window -> File Properties -> Filename (name)". Trying to do so will just change the filename in the library and will not alter the real file.

Possible solutions I see (if I did not missunderstood your problem) :

1) Doesn't "Rename File from properties" do the job? I mean you can correct the song's title and the use rename file from properties to really rename the file and match the change. I always do so to fix these sort of things

2) You can use "Action Window -> File Properties -> Filename (name)" to correct the filename and then rename the file in explorer too (I sugest using copy/paste in order to be sure the filename in explorer and MC exactly match)

Hope that helps
David.
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

Marty3d

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 06:11:38 am »

No, you didn't misunderstand me :)

I'll try the Rename from properties thingy as soon as I come home, but I believe MC has an old bug there, not sure. If you follow the convention of tagging tracks with 0x instead of just x, MC skips the zero, which will render my files:

Artist - Album - 01 - Name.mp3 (not renamed by properties)
Artist - Album - 2 - Name.mp3 (renamed by properties)
Artist - Album - 03 - Name.mp3 (not renamed by properties)

as I said, I'm not sure, but I'll try!

Thanks!
/Martin

lOth

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 06:26:58 am »

I had the same problem and finally found a way of doing this while staying in MC (I've just done it successfully with 11.0.223). Edit/copy/move your files and folders not in MC's Media Library but in the  'Drives and devices' section of the navigation tree.

Just go there, find your files, and edit the file and/or foldernames. The change will appear both in Explorer and in MC's media library.

You can also drag and drop files and folders in that 'Drives and devices' tree, the changes will be reflected as well in the Media Library.

Marty3d

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 06:31:06 am »

Thanks!

One could of course wish for a simpler way to edit files ... after all, it's 2005 now :)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2005, 06:32:40 am »

Action window works as well as direct typing in the "Filename" library field (if it is set to be visible). It changes the contents of the library field and the physical filename. For single files it is as good method as any other. I don't have any problems with it.

For folder names I would normally select all files in the folder and use the Rename Files From Properties tool. By this way all files will use a consistent naming system.

Click to enlarge.

I have not discovered track numbering bugs. MC uses leading zero for the track numbers below 10 when it writes the filenames.

lOth

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2005, 06:50:36 am »

Action window works as well as direct typing in the "Filename" library field (if it is set to be visible).

Just tried it and I guess you're right, it works. But I swear it didn't a few versions ago (11.0.119 was the previous one I had with which I'm pretty sure the "filename" field was updated with no bearing on the actual file name).

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2005, 07:21:23 am »

There was no 119 build. I guess you mean 219. It was one of builds that were pulled because of problems.

Because of the several changes and some new bugs I didn't update build 196 on my main MC PC until the current build. So far 225 seems to be working fine.

lOth

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 07:52:22 am »

I guess you mean 219

You're right again  :-[

Simple

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 01:15:33 pm »

Alex B

If I understand you right the issues with 'rename files from properties' are gone with 11.0.225 ? Had a few problems with this.

Had a few more problems with (not) deleted empty folders after renaming the files. Is this one gone too?

lOth

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 01:27:00 pm »

If I understand you right the issues with 'rename files from properties' are gone with 11.0.225 ?

It's gone at least since 11.0.223 because that's what I have and it also works for me.

Simple

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2005, 01:45:17 pm »

IOth,
thanks. I'll go one step ahead (the last ones were back. Called showstoppers?).

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2005, 01:55:24 pm »

So far I have not experienced any file handling problems with 225.
Pages: [1]   Go Up