INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: changing computers  (Read 863 times)

ms

• nothing more to say...
changing computers
« on: October 18, 2002, 03:19:40 am »

Could some kind soul please either simply outline or refer me to a simple outline of how I might go about moving my whole MJ environment/setup/files/MJtags/everything from one computer to a new computer?
Thanks much,
Mark

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: changing computers
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2002, 06:50:40 am »

On the old machine do the Help>Backup License. I don't know what it does at this point. It may want to put it on a floppy or on the hard disk. Hard disk is fine as long as you can select your MJ dir as the destination (but do a floppy backup too, if available)

Now copy your MJ directory and all subdir's to your new machine. Then all your music files.

Now do an install of MJ on the new machine into the MJ directory u just copied over. Now do the Help>Restore License. There is a good chance you'll have to configure MJ again since I believe all user settings are stored in the Win registry. Maybe not, but I don't see any applicable ini's.

Should be that easy.

Xenno

ms

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2002, 03:32:14 pm »

What about my old custom fields? They don't return even after having saved everything in the old MJ directory. Where are they located and how do I import them? Thanks.

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2002, 03:39:28 pm »

That's probably saved in the old computer's registry which is not migrating over to your new computer. Then again, it may be in the MJ dir or one of the subdirs. But installing MJ on new computer will probably wipe out old settings like that. No pain.......no gain.

Xenno

>>I know your not the first to do this, so do a forum search on "new computer", "new installation", etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up