INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wall plate / crimping recommendations?  (Read 2295 times)

freezingcold

wall plate / crimping recommendations?
« on: March 31, 2005, 07:30:25 am »

Hey everyone,

I've been wiring like a madman (pictures to come soon) and, following much of the advice here, have run a combination of 12-guage speaker wire (for close rooms) and RG6 (for far rooms) to a central point where my new HTPC will be.

I am now looking to purchase wall-plates and connection hardware to make this all look great and work well!  I've looked at "Leviton (Telecom)" which looks great but they want $300 for their "universal crimping tool".  Other brand names out there?  I don't mind spending money for tools but that seems excessive for a tool that lets me crimp about 20 connections in 4 rooms!

I would appreciate any brand names/part numbers and websites people recommend for high-quality wall-plates consisting of a combination of: coax (f-type for RG6 video), speaker (banana preferred), and RCA (for RG6 line-level or SPDIF if I can get that working)

Thanks much!  Mastiff you are my inspiration!

Dave

brentb

Re: wall plate / crimping recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 04:19:43 am »

I use Leviton Quickport wall plates. Various terminations  and plate styles available. You can see them here. http://www.smarthome.com/8559.html Shop around for them. Home Depot carries them too where I live.

You can buy RG6 crimp on tools and ends at Radio Shack. For Cat5/6, you should check out ebay, or the net. Do a search for 'punchdown tool'. This is used for connecting and cutting the excess off a Cat5/6 quickport end.

I wired my Denon 6.1 system like this, running wires for the speakers through the walls, and in the drop ceiling of the basement.

I run video using these through Cat 6. http://www.channelplus.com/product_detail.php?productId=77

good luck
Brent

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
Re: wall plate / crimping recommendations?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 09:23:03 am »

brentb
do you have mc11 connected and running as a tv-out.  I am struggling with wether to use tv-out or the router connect stuff. (Up??). 
the TV-out looks cleaner, but I worry about signal quality and ability to control remotely and seeing the screen on the TV. 
Please let me hear your thoughts.
Lots of products to connect the network but none seem to be clear winners.
Pages: [1]   Go Up