INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can genres have sub catagories?  (Read 1085 times)

tcman41

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Sound Surfing!
Can genres have sub catagories?
« on: July 26, 2005, 07:44:08 pm »

Thanks to music forums, russian download sites and the like i have required an insane amount of music in the last three months, now at about 1,100 albums and counting.

My 9 different genres held up well for awhile but now with all this music they are starting to break down, so i am adding more genres, is it possiable to make sub catagories of a genre?, like light rock , hard rock and oldies rock under one genre of rock, it would sure come in happy and really make my month.

Any help would be great.

TC

GrantDG

• World Citizen
Re: Can genres have sub catagories?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 08:04:22 pm »

Windows Media has a concept of "Mood" - but it's a bit useless within WMP

What you could do is create a new "Sub-Genre" (or Mood??) Field in the Library (Tools | Options... | Library | "Add"). After the field is added, create a new view using this field...

Looking to control J River Media Center from your Windows Phone?: Look for nMedium & nMedium Play in the WP store

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can genres have sub catagories?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 09:00:42 pm »

Here's what I do....

Use the wonderful atagger plugin.
Create the new library fields required to run it.
I added one called "STYLES", which is a ; delimited list.
The site that atagger refers to throws most of my music into a general genre of ROCK.
Way too broad.
So, I leave the genre field blank when I import songs.
Then run atagger with the checkbox checked to update the genre and artist styles fields (among others).
So, atagger will suggest ROCK for the genre.  I then look down at the STYLES field, which may have 3 or 4 thing listed.  I then choose from those which one I think is the main one and manually fill that on in for the genre field, overwriting "rock".

I end up with the following main genres:
Alt Metal, Alternative, Blues, Classical, Country, Gothic Rock, Grunge, Indie Rock, Industrial Metal, Instrumentals, Metal, Pop, Post-Grunge, Progressive Rock, Punk Rock, Rap, Rapcore, Rock,  Southern Rock, Swing, Thrash Metal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up