INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: performance issue  (Read 1533 times)

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
performance issue
« on: April 15, 2005, 10:44:40 am »

Hello all,

I've had some issues with MC11 for quite some time now regarding the time it takes to:
- load up my database
- loading or transitioning between songs can take 5-10 seconds during which the program is all frozen.

Not sure why this is. My music db isn't that huge (18k songs or so).

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
-Cas

Code: [Select]
Media Center Registered 11.0.234 -- D:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1054 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 78 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2573 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.041130-1729) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2578 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.041130-1729) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive I:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive I: DVDRW    IDE1008            Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Robert Taylor

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living in a Smokeless Zone...
Re: performance issue
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 12:57:21 pm »

Gday,

I have about the same number of songs, and I don't have any issues like this.

With 11, I have found that some builds are definately better than others, so I tend to try a new build out, if it has quirks which I don't like, or speed issues etc., I either go up one version as soon as it comes out, or go back to the previous "good" version.

I've just installed 11.0.240, and most of the more recent builds seem good (excpt for one or two).

If this persists, it's worth looking at other areas on your system.

It would be helpful to know if you're doing anything like loading the DB off a network share etc. or anything else that may be "different" with your setup...

Cheers
Rob

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 01:00:33 pm »

Is the Library (the database files not the media files themselves) on a network drive?  I haven't tested it recently (since the thumbnail cache was moved) but in the past having the database files living on a network or otherwise slow drive caused serious performance issues similar to what you're describing.

If this is the case, do a search in this forum for network library and you'll find some of my posts that describe a potential solution.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 01:02:46 pm »

Thanks for this replies guys,

While I know the library isn't on a network drive, i know that the partition it's on is pretty ** big and probably needs a defrag. I'm going to move it to a different drive and see if that solves the issue.

Robert Taylor

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 01:15:10 pm »

It might be worth checking the windows event logs on your machine, and check for any anomolies there, too.

Do you see any issues accessing your drive etc. from windows explorer, or any other apps?

I've some weird issues before similar to this, where it turned out that a drive was failing, so every access to the drive would take a long time, becuase the drive had to retry many times before being able to return data. Eventually the drives died completely, fortunately I had just enough time to rescue certain files off it before it did.

This showed up in the event log...

I'm not trying to panic you, but it's worth checking out...
Cheers
Rob

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 01:30:51 pm »

well, moving the library to my very clean syscache partition made things much faster. That's a good start.

Now when i load up a genre, it can take from 1-2 seconds to redraw the view. Is this normal? Taking into concideration that my system is a bit outdated...

But most things such as switching to full screen, etc... happen much faster now. No more hanging.

I checked the sys event log and cleared it. I'm not getting any errors right now :D.

Thanks again, and let me know if you have more great ideas :D

- Cas

Robert Taylor

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 01:42:24 pm »

It might be worth trying a more recent build also, I recall that a few of the 11.0.23x series had a few oddnesses.

Be bold! Go the latest build!!!

Backup your library first, if you have issues with the new build, revert back to the old(er) one...

Whadya got to lose?

;)
Cheers
Rob

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 01:45:55 pm »

Might as well. I'll get back to you in 5 minutes or so.   :-\

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 02:12:44 pm »

I have found that tagging is quite sluggish. I have to wait for MC11 constantly. The other parts of MC11 seem to be as fast as ever.

Usually I have only one album folder visible when I tag, but my details list style shows 44 columns. I wonder if that has something to do with it. Perhaps I could try tagging with five columns or so. (In reality that is not an option for me. I need all those columns when tagging.)

My P4 PC has up-to-date hardware and the library is on a fast local hard drive. I don't think it has anything to do with the hardware.

MC10 reacts faster and updates tags almost instantly even on my old PII PC.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 02:20:06 pm »

Interesting Alex. I've updated to the latest build and still have the same performance.

I too I'm a crazy ass tagger by the way :P. And that can take forever. What you just mentioned about mc10 makes me think of something though:
How about using mc10 for tagging? And mc11 for using teh library? Do you think it would be worth it?

-Cas
Pages: [1]   Go Up